WNET is advertising the following position;Executive Producer, Programming Development
22 July 2011
Medium:tvType:news-programmingOrganization:WNET-TVRegion:New York CityLocation:NYCDescription:The WNET family of companies is a major producer of broadcast and online media for local, national and
international audiences, creating award-winning content in the areas of arts and culture, news and public affairs, science
and natural history, documentaries, and children’s programming.
Reporting to the VP, Programming (WNET) the Executive Producer, Programming Development is responsible for the development pipeline for new programming across all of WNET’s separate production entities. Establishing the dormant process for reviewing, assessing, and responding to all incoming unsolicited or requested proposals from independent and freelance producers, from other broadcasters, and distributors such proposals, and managing the pipeline in a timely fashion. The Executive Producer, Programming Development will be expected to generate new ideas for production, exploring new content and format areas, new partners and partnerships, or reinvention, spin-offs, or updating of existing productions. New projects need not necessarily be developed only for public television distribution.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Exercising editorial judgment and imaginative thinking to evaluate and originate projects for development.
• Ensuring that WNET’s standards of excellence, integrity and fiscal responsibility are reflected in all development projects.
• Maintaining professional relationships with a variety of potential program suppliers (independent producers, international broadcasters, distributors, etc.).
• In collaboration with the Development Department, ensure the timely origination and presentation of program-specific proposals for potential funding sources – from NEH/NEA/NSF to CPB & PBS, to individual foundations and major donors.
• Collaborating with Executive Producers and Executives in Charge of THIRTEEN, WLIW and CNG production units to develop projects proposed and originated by them, or projects that will reside with them when produced.
• Maintaining an active and accessible database of all program proposals under consideration or dealt with.
• Represent WNET on the international production market, taking pitches and maintaining good relationships with international broadcasters.
• Supervising the Associate Producer, Programming Development – assigning research & development tasks, monitoring their progress, ensuring good communications between the AP/PD and both internal and external producers.
To qualify, candidates must possess a BS or BA in Broadcast Communications, Production, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience and at least five (5) years of experience as a production executive managing program development and production department with direct supervisory responsibility for staff. Qualified candidates must also have thorough knowledge of budgets and budget management; excellent editorial judgment; oral and written communication skills; strong planning, problem-solving, organizational and interpersonal skills; and proven knowledge of the independent production community.
Candidates with solid experience as executive producer or senior producer producing and delivering nationally broadcast programs, a successful history in developing new programming for independent production, cable, or PBS broadcast programming, experience of international broadcast marketplace and awareness of industry trends, funding opportunities, foundation program interests are preferred.Contact:For immediate consideration, forward resume, cover letter, and salary history via mail, email or fax. Email responses should list the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Please do not send links to online resumes.
WNET New York Public Media
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019
Email: [email protected]
Qualified candidates only; no phone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
WNET.ORG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.