Dancing with the Stars revealed the pro pairings this morning on Good Morning America, and the announcement caught fans by surprise. Two pro dancers are out and three are new. That’s because only eleven couples started off last season, whereas twelve are slated for season 13. So, who’s out and not returning this season and who’s new to the ballroom? Here’s a look at both…
Who’s out on Dancing with the Stars?
The following pro dancers competed last season, but were dropped for season 13:
- Chelsie Hightower (was paired with Romeo last season). Chelsie has been on Dancing with the Stars since season eight. Her past partners were Ty Murray, Louie Vito, Jake Pavelka, Michael Bolton and Romeo Miller. Chelsie tweeted this morning that she’ll be around the DWTS set for the pro dances. “It’s all good,” she says. One fan expressed his disappointment on Twitter by posting, “Devastated you won’t be on DWTS. But I know your talent will take you to great things.”
- Louis Van Amstel (was paired with Kendra Wilkenson last season). The seasoned dance pro has competed on DWTS eight times, so his exclusion in season 13 was surprising to many fans. His past partners included Trista Sutter, Lisa Rinna, Monique Coleman, Priscilla Pressley, Kelly Osbourne, Niecy Nash, Margaret Cho, and Kendra Wilkensen. Louis revealed on Twitter, “Not being on DWTS this season was not my choice. Even though I’m crazy busy w LaBlast I’d never say NO to DWTS. I love doing the show! It’s ok…there’s always next season!”
Who’s new on Dancing with the Stars?
- Peta Murgatroyd: The beauty was born in Auckland, New Zealand and raised in Perth, Western Australia. She currently resides in Los Angeles and is partnered with Ron Artest in her rookie DWTS season. After being crowned Australian State Champion, Peta moved to London to further her career. She finished 2nd in the Great World City Championships, was a semi-finalist in the Lion City Championships in Singapore and was a finalist in the Australian Open championships. She placed 3rd in the world at the British Youth Latin Championships and was chosen to be a cast member of Burn The Floor, which landed on Broadway in August 2009. Peta was the lead female dancer. Peta has performed regularly on Dancing With The Stars in Australia and America and So You Think You Can Dance in Australia and Holland. She has choreographed and performed with great artists Heart, Rod Stewart, Taio Cruz, Enrique Iglesias. Peta toured with the ballroom dancing company Ballroom With A Twist in 2010 for their Canadian tour. Concerning partner Ron Artest, Peta tweeted, “LONG DAY! My partner was smoking hot today, he killed it!!!”
- Val Chmerkovskiy: Valentin is Maksim’s younger brother and is partnered with Elisabetta Canalis for his rookie season. He has appeared on DWTS numerous times, including a dance-off with Maks in season four. Val’s accomplishments include: Current United States Latin Champion, one of the first couples from the United States to win a championship title at the prestigious Blackpool competition in England, and 2006 champion from the Professional Latin competition at Philadelphia Festival Dancesport Championship. Val is excited about his first season of competing on Dancing with the Stars and tweeted, “Thank you to all that supported me and continue to do so. I am very fortunate to have you.”
- Tristan McManus: A native of Bray, Tristan started dancing when he was nine years old, encouraged by his grandparents who were dancers. McManus danced extensively in Ireland and Europe, capturing numerous titles. After winning the All Ireland Championships for the last time in 2000, he moved on to perform in musical theater. Following a highly successful tour of Simply Ballroom, initially in London and then in Las Vegas, Tristan was back in London’s West End where he performed in the stage version of Dirty Dancing. He also served as the production’s Dance Captain and Ballroom Supervisor. Tristan subsequently joined the dance spectacular Burn The Floor, playing everywhere from New Zealand to Boston’s own Wang Theatre. He also appeared in the film Ella Enchanted.
All the glitz and glamour of Dancing with the Stars returns to ABC on Monday, September 19th with an action-packed two-hour premiere.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite TV stars and shows.