September 11, 2011 marks the tenth anniversary of the World Trade Center Attack. New York City is organizing events to honor the fallen while comforting those left behind.
It’s hard to believe that so many years have passed as for anyone who lived through the tragedy, it feels like yesterday.
During difficult times New Yorkers bond together, when the Blackout hit, people lined the streets with food and water, the transit strike, there was car pooling and cups of hot chocolate and on September 11, 2001, the love and care displayed proves that generosity and compassion exists in the Big Apple.
As the 9/11 Memorial ascends there are activities planned to commemorate the site while offering a day of remembrance.
Here are some of the many events marking the anniversary.
- Tribute of Light-September 11th, the illumination will mark the spot where the Towers once stood. The proud columns are a fitting tribute to what was taken from us that September morning.
- Memorial Ceremony-Each year a Memorial Ceremony is held at the World Trade Center where a list of names is read in honor of the lives that were lost. Family members give tribute while New Yorkers support those left behind.
- September 11th Exhibit at PS1-Known for their ground-breaking exhibits PS1 located in Long Island City (22-25 Jackson Avenue) is running a tenth anniversary exhibit from September 11, 2011 through January 9, 2012. Seventy works of art depict a loss that still impacts today.
- Remembrance Exhibit at the New York Historical Society Museum and Library-Features drawings, photos and letters written to our nation’s heroes, the police and fireman who risked their own lives to save others, this exhibit exposes the heartbreaking events and triumph of the human spirit. It will run from September 8, 2011-April 1, 2012.
- Remember to Love at Trinity and St. Bart’s Church-Focusing on peace and love, the fellowship will honor the brave men and women who lost their lives saving others.
- Battery Park’s Memorial Field-3,000 flags will fly in honor of the victims.
- Hands Across Lower Manhattan-Grasping hands, participants will create a human chain lining Battery Park.
- FDNY 10th Anniversary Service-Memorial Service at St. Patrick’s Cathedral will honor the 343 lost firefighters. The closed cathedral service is for the FDNY force and family members but Teleprompters will televise the event on 50th and 51st Street.
Whether it’s a day of quiet remembrance or an opportunity to lend a hand, take the time to remember. By promising never to forget we’re saying, ‘we will not let this happen again.’