Episode 10 of USA’s Necessary Roughness, A Wing and a Player, which aired on August 31, 2011 was arguably one of the best of this breakout hit’s first season. This week’s client tied in closely with the Hawks, but above all, the show just brought the funny this week.
With that, let’s get this week’s high five going.
Necessary Roughness – A Wing and a Player – High Five
1. Sports superstitions – The guys of the Hawks’ football team are all up in arms over the very public return of the teams’ former mascot who single footedly created “The Kurse” six years earlier. An accidental tripping of Marcus Alvarez by Phil “The Kurse” Kirkman (Austin Basis) in a game as good as won that the Hawks ended up losing started the team’s Playoff drought.
2. Dr. Dani doubts ‘The Kurse’ – Never fear, Dr. Dani is here! Coach sends Dani to talk with Kirkman as a representative of the team. He reveals that he’s looking for forgiveness from Marcus, the team, New York so he can move on. He says he fears for his life. Dr. Dani tells him that fear is just: False Evidence Appearing Real. Attempting to prove her theory they take a stroll along the streets of New York, only to have Phil verbally abused by passersby. Whoops.
3. Dani, J.D., Nico oh my – Fans of the show have been contemplating the chemistry between Nico and Dani since the series’ beginning, but in this week’s episode we definitely got a solid glimpse at a little something brewing. Particularly when Nico shows up at the restaurant where J.D. and Dani are having dinner and joins the couple. And now that Dani and J.D. have realized their lives don’t quite match right now, the door is once again wide open for something to develop with Dani and Matt or Dani and Nico. These are not bad choices Dani is faced with.
4. T.K. brings the charm – After making a less than stellar first impression with Sports Illustrated reporter Vivica Stevens (Jaime Lee Kirchner), T.K. redeems himself and brings a whole new dimension to this character. After talking things through with Dr. Dani, he smoothes things out and really rocks the charm. Perhaps the most incredible thing about T.K.’s charming moments? He was sincere. I know…Who knew?
5. Because I said so – Dani hits this age old parenting fallback when explaining to Ray Jay and Lindsay why they cannot stay by themselves on Saturday night. Granted they haven’t exactly inspired repeat trust in the past, but ultimately Dani decides to give them another chance, with hilarious results.
Choosing to spend the night in watching scary movies together, Lindsay and Ray Jay hear what they think is an intruder and take cover in the pantry. Frantically deciding what to do and who to call, they mistakenly call T.K. who can only hear their panicked conversation. Despite Dr. Dani’s ground rules, he rushes to their aid. Being designated the “brave one” T.K. goes off after the intruder brandishing a frying pan, “I’m lethal with this thing!” only to return with…A pigeon.
~ The night’s diagnosis ~
Client of the night, Phil Kirkman, was very much tied in with the team, so in the course of coming to a diagnosis for him, Dr. Dani was also able to break the curse that plagued the Hawks for six years. Oh yes, the Hawks are headed to the playoffs.
But back to Phil. After Dani brings Phil to the stadium (gasp!) and Marcus offers his forgiveness, Phil thinks that means he’s back to being the mascot. Yeah…That would be a big no. This sends Phil back to the ledge, and while Dr. Dani is talking him down, she reveals that she believes he has undiagnosed Asperger’s syndrome. So the Hawks win, Dani will continue a therapeutic relationship with Phil, and all is well in the land of Necessary Roughness.
We are only two weeks away from the season one finale for Necessary Roughness. The season ender will air on September 14, 2011. Meanwhile, catch next week’s new episode Wednesday on the USA Network at 10:00 p.m. / 9:00 c.
Necessary Roughness Cast List:
Callie Thorne………………………Dr. Dani Santino
Marc Blucas……………………….Matthew Donnally
Mehcad Brooks………………….Terrence ‘T.K.’ King
Hannah Marks……………………Lindsay Santino
Patrick Johnson…………………Ray Jay (Ray Jr.)
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom moments or lessons, hit the subscribe button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter @TVMoms101, and GoogleBuzz.