United Way Downtown is a free family-friendly community event, owned and produced by United Way of North Central Florida. This series of street festivals will give Gator fans and visitors a chance to have some family-friendly fun before the games, celebrate downtown Gainesville and increase visibility for United Way. Activities will include local artists and vendors selling merchandise, local restaurants offering area favorites and local bands presenting a variety of music. A children’s area will feature face painting, bounce houses, arts and crafts and other G-rated activities.
According to Dana Napier, the organizer of the event, here are the activities in store for the first event, Friday, September 2nd:
· Blues – O- Matics take the stage at 5:30 – 7p. Followed by the City’s Let’s Go Downtown Concert from 8p-10p, with Tom Shed performing. Both concerts take place on the stage in the Bo Diddley Community Plaza.
· Participating downtown restaurants, with additional vendor booth locations, include Big Lou’s Pizza, Vellos and Dragonfly.
· 98.5 KTK will be broadcasting live on 1st Street at the SE 2nd Ave intersection.
· The O2B Kids Corner will include a bounce house, face painting and activities. Corks and Colors studio will have a painting station as well and Fun4GatorKids.com will be doing free temporary tattoos.
· The Miller Lite beer truck will be serving cold beverages, including Miller Lite, Coors Lite and Blue Moon, near University Avenue, by the plaza.
· Beer tickets will be sold at the ID booth, located near Harry’s at SE 1st Ave. $3 – Miller Lite and Coors Lite and $4 – Blue Moon
· ONLY beer in the United Downtown white/blue stadium cups will be allowed in the event area, and no beer can be taken from the event area, which will be marked with barricades and signs, and enforced by security and GPD officers.
· Local vendors providing shopping opportunities include: GatorMade, Kitchen & Spice, Purdy Little Things, Pennington & Bailes and Gator Jewelry Designs.
· Alley Katz will be giving away free bowling coupons near the O2B Kids corner.
· The Santa Fe Teaching Zoo will have LIVE alligators in the O2B Kids Corner from 5:30 – 7:30.
For over 1000 listings of places to go and things to do with kids in the greater Gainesville, FL area, visit www.fun4gatorkids.com