As of 8 PM Thursday evening, the National Hurricane Center is closely monitoring three areas of disturbed weather. One area is close to the Central American coastline, and has an 80% chance of development over the next 48 hours. Tampa Bay will not have any impact from this system. However, there are two other areas out in the Atlantic Ocean. In the middle Atlantic, there is a wave with a 20% chance of organization over the next 48 hours, and just coming off the west coast of Africa is an already well organized tropical wave with a 30% chance of development. Both of these areas are expected to move into areas more favorable for strengthening, and some computer models have suggested impacts for the southeastern United States or the Gulf of Mexico. However, it is far too early to know for sure. Many times in the 2010 Hurricane Season, and a few times already this season, computer models have latched onto systems, turning them into Hurricanes that slam the US coastline. Of course, no such storm affected the US last year, and so far this year there has been nothing to cause any real concern. Still, keep informed by visiting the National Hurricane Center’s website at: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
Thursday throughout the Bay
Tampa Bay experienced fairly typical mid-summer weather on Thursday 18 August. The day started off with partly cloudy skies, but the clouds increased in numbers and thickened as the day progressed. Of the four main reporting stations, only St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport received any rainfall Thursday (0.22”) through 8 PM. However, just like on Wednesday, strong afternoon thunderstorms developed in the central part of the state. They moved westward, and parts of the Tampa Bay received precipitation from these storms. This led to rainfall at Raymond James Stadium for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers versus New England Patriots game Thursday night. Between 8 and 10 PM, Tampa International received 0.82” of precipitation. Highs for the day ranged from 90 in St. Petersburg to 94 at MacDill Air Force Base. Due to a southeasterly flow, humidity was seasonably high, with dew points mostly between 73 and 77. Heat index values ranged 100-105 in most areas. This is in contrast to the excessively high humidity Tampa has seen at times this summer due to the southwesterly flow off of the 90 degree Gulf of Mexico water.
For Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Tampa can expect fairly typical conditions for mid-summer, although temperatures will remain slightly above normal. Lows every morning will be 75-80. Skies each day will range from partly to mostly cloudy each day. On Friday and Saturday, thunderstorm coverage will range from 40% right near the coast and bay to 60% further inland. For Sunday, thunderstorm coverage will vary from 30% near the coastline and 40% further inland. Expect highs each afternoon between 90 and 95, with heat indices 100-105. For more detailed information, please visit the local National Weather Service website at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/, or the Storm Team 8 Facebook Page at: http://www.facebook.com/StormTeam8WFLA.