Forget pendants and pearls. Ladies, get ready for chunky necklaces, big baubles and enormous rocks. This season’s necklaces are big enough to make Cleopatra proud- and really make a statement.
This Newark Fashion Examiner has been coveting the handmade DANNIJO Paradis necklace seen in the photo to the left. Sold at a cool $945 (yes, you read that correctly) it’s the ultimate reward for … still undecided. Pretty much when the cash is there, or a certain someone needs a good present for an upcoming birthday (hint, hint!). In any case, since most of us can’t afford DANNIJO’s Paradis beauty, there are a ton of other options out there.
Remember to always keep the rest of the ensemble simple. This is where the necklace takes center stage. A white tee and jeans are a great option, as is a simple solid sundress or wrap dress. Negotiable areas include shoes and handbags. These can be colorful, as long as the colors don’t clash with the jewelry. If wearing bright colored accessories, make sure to keep makeup simple.
Below and pictured in the slide show are a few of our top picks for the necklaces of the season- all under $300.
- This Devon Leigh Chunky Turquoise Necklace makes a bold statement. Turquoise is always in fashion and can be worn year-round. BUY: Neiman Marcus Stores: Paramus and Short Hills, NJ and online at neimanmarcus.com
- This Kate Spade Multiflower Necklace was “inspired by a Hawaiian lei.” With a summery design yet black and white colors, this can also be worn year-round. Cute, younger and cheery, this necklace will bring on instant happiness. BUY: Lord and Taylor Stores: Monmouth Mall, Freehold Mall and Woodbridge Mall, NJ and online at lordandtaylor.com
- This R.J. Graziano “Dirty Diamonds” Mesh Bib Necklace gives you an excuse to wear huge diamond-like gems in broad daylight- with a white tee of course. It’s what Cleopatra would wear in 2011. BUY: Online at www.endless.com
- This gorgeous “Chunky Ladybug Necklace” from the Sage’s Cupboard is really a unique piece. Made of glass beads spirals, it’s a work of art that speaks for itself. BUY: Online at www.artfire.com
- If you read this blog regularly, you had to have ventured a guess that feathers would make an appearance somewhere in this post. Here they are, featured in the serefina Vintage Mesh Feather Necklace– with orange accents. BUY: Urban Outfitters, Broad Street, Red Bank, NJ and online at www.urbanoutfitters.com