Transitioning from relaxed hair without cutting may seem like the best way to retain length. Actually the opposite is true, the difference in textures of your new growth verses the straight permed hair causes breakage while styling hair. The key to growing long natural hair is to use certain techniques and methods. The following is some of the best ways to achieve healthy hair that grows.
1. Natural hair needs moisture so the first thing you will want to do is invest in essential oils such as jojoba, olive, coconut and shea butter. These can be applied to hair that is dry or wet and will help nourish your ends keeping them soft and helps repair hair damage from heat styling products.
2. Some times it is easy to forget that having long hair is also dependent on retaining the length that you already have. The better you can preserve your tresses the easier it will be to notice your progress as you do monthly length checks. Using protective hairstyles is a step in the right direction because it allows for your hair to rest from the constant brushing and combing which can cause shedding and breakage.
3. Afro kinky hair may appear that it is not growing and this is because of what is known as “shrinkage”. You may have noticed that once you apply water and shampoo your natural hair that once it starts to dry it looses a considerable amount of length. When this happens you have a few choices you can stretch the hair by using two-strand twists, braidouts, or roller setting hair.
4. Heat training has regained popularity among naturally curly enthusiasts who want to achieve a straight relaxed hairstyle without chemicals. To achieve the look you will want to use a heat protectent on your hair and buy a quality flat iron that has an adjustable temperature to not exceed 350 degrees. Proper straightening methods can help hair achieve longer lengths.
5. Deep conditioners and hot oil treatments keep hair strong, soft and manageable. Healthy hair starts with using the right hair care products. Vitamins for hair growth include keratin, protien, vitamin E and zinc. Exercise and drinking plenty of water will help your skin, nails and hair.
Remember each persons hair is different and what may work for one person may not work for another. Age, genetics and lifestyle plays a huge role in the overall health of your hair and if it will grow long.