In the late 19th Century, Fort Worth was an important stop for cowboys along the Chisholm Trail. Today the cowboy culture remains, but there’s so much more to Cowtown. More laid back than Dallas, it’s more glitzy neighbor to the east, Fort Worth is a compact city filled with cultural and historical attractions.
Here are the top 10 things do to in Fort Worth, Texas:
1. Watch the Texas Longhorn cattle drives at 11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. daily in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District, and have your photo made with a Longhorn.
2. Learn about the animal kingdom at the famous Fort Worth Zoo, home to nearly 7,000 native and exotic animals.
3. Feast on Tex-Mex, steaks, barbeque, or burgers in the stockyards area, and enjoy shopping for western-style clothing and gifts.
4. Explore the beautiful Fort Worth Botanic Gardens, featuring 2,500 species of plants in 21 specialty gardens and a 10,000-square-foot conservatory. Don’t miss the breathtaking Japanese Garden, with its Koi ponds and lovely plantings.
5. Scoot your boots at Billy Bob’s, a Texas-sized honky tonk covering nearly three acres. Enjoy big name country bands, along with live bull riding on Friday and Saturday nights. Nearby, the historic Cowtown Coliseum hosts rodeo events and a Wild West show on weekends.
6. Tour the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to see how money is made. Free 45-minute guided tours are offered on weekdays.
7. Catch the excitement of auto racing at the Texas Motor Speedway or see a football game at TCU. Cowboys Stadium and the Texas Rangers Ballpark are just a few miles to the east in Arlington.
8. Immerse yourself in art and culture. Fort Worth is home to more than a dozen museums including the renowned Kimbell Art Museum, Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, and National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame.
9. Take in a performance at the Bass Concert Hall, Casa Manana theatre or other fabulous venues.
10. Explore the charming 35-block Sundance Square district in downtown Fort Worth. Attractions include restaurants, clubs, shops, galleries, performance venues, a movie theater, and the Sid Richardson Museum’s fine collection of Western art.
Plan Your Trip to Fort Worth
The Fort Worth visitor website offers a wealth of information on hotels, dining, and attractions. Get coupons here and check the events schedule.
Related Texas Travel Articles
Top things to do in Arlington, Texas
Make tracks to Glen Rose, the Dinosaur Capital of Texas
Top 10 Texas family vacation destinations
More Texas Travel Tips
Click the Subscribe or RSS feed button next to my photo at the top of this article, and you’ll receive a notice each time a new Texas travel article is published on this page. You can also follow @TexasTravelGal on Twitter and join my Texas Travel group on Facebook.