Watford, England – The man who blew the whistle on News of the World editor Andy Coulson, alleging staff was urged to hack cell phones, was found dead in his Watford, England home Monday.
Police said the death is not thought to be suspicious, according to the Guardian.
During a New York Times interview in 2010, Hoare alleged that Coulson encouraged News of the World reporters to hack into cell phones to obtain information for stories. He claimed the phones of murder victims, politicians and celebrities were hacked into by News of the World reporters.
Nonetheless, after the interview, Hoare refused to speak to police about the issue and Coulson denied the story.
Hoare had also worked under Coulson at the Sun tabloid prior to being terminated for drug and alcohol issues, the Guardian reported.
The hacking scandal led to the closure of News of the World — a publication that had been in operation for 168 years.
According to Bloomberg.com, Hoare’s lawyer David Sonn said he had not heard about his client’s death, but called it “a terrible tragedy” if true.
Want to read more Tabloid Headlines Examiner articles? Then subscribe to receive continuous updates as articles are published. You can also follow me on Twitter and find links to all of my articles on uFollow.