It is your face, your identity, a big part of who you are. It reflects the health and happiness, and can even mean the difference between a great self-esteem and a lack of it thereof. You might not be born with a great skin, but having a good daily routine will make a difference in the appearance of your skin no matter what the skin type and condition.
An effective skin routine should achieve four prong results:
· It should clean, getting rid of excess sebum deposit, dead cells, dirt, dust, and bacteria;
· Provide hydration to your skin by attracting and retaining sufficient water for your skin to remain supple and healthy;
· Protect your skin by forming a barrier against the environment pollutants and harmful rays of the sun;
· Achieve a healthy look throughout the day without you having to resort to heavy concealing make up.
First, check your skin type and then invest in a good cleaser, moisturizer and sunscreen. To know your skin type, click here.
1) Wash & Cleanse: (2 Minutes) – Start with a good face wash. Avoid regular soaps. Our skin is protected by a mantle of acid which keeps most of the grime and bacteria from taking up residence in our cherished membrane. That means our skin is slightly acidic. The PH (power of hydrogen) is measured on a scale of 1-14, with our skin being in between 4-6.5, neutral being a 7, and alkaline over 7. All soaps are alkaline in nature, made to dissolve oil and dirt. The more alkaline the soap, the more dry and irritated your skin will be. Hence, always go for a gentle PH balanced face wash or soaps formulated to be used on the face. If it’s creamy, simply apply a dime of cleanser and apply all over the face with circular motion. Remove with cotton. You can also use soapy cleansers which you can wash off with tepid or lukewarm water. Always, always use tepid to lukewarm water to wash your face, and never cold or hot, as they can cause broken capillaries and dry out your skin.
2) Moisturize: (30 seconds) – Clichéd as it sounds; this is THE most important part of your routine. No matter what your skin type is, you have to moisturize. It’s a lubricant which helps trap moisture in the skin cells, keeping it hydrated. They contain humectants which attract water. A good moisturizer will improve the tone and the texture of your skin and form a temporary protective barrier. Choose oil based moisturizers for extremely dry and dehydrated skin. For all other skin types, it is better to opt for water based ones. For oily skin, go for a water-based moisturizer labeled ‘noncomedogenic’.
3) Sunscreen: (30 seconds) – Screen your prized complexion with sunscreen.The Inland Empire sun can be harsh, especially around Temecula, Murrieta, Hemet areas, so you must use a sunscreen and a hat to shield it from the sun. However, sunscreen is a must even if the sun is resting behind clouds. It’s the rays your skin is battling with. Sunscreen is often confused with something that prevents tanning. It does not. What it does do is protect your delicate tissue from the harmful UVA and UVB by filtering the rays from the sun. To prevent sunburn, sun damage, and tanning, you must use a high SPF sun block, which different from a sunscreen. Your sunscreen SPF should be a 15 or more. People in humid areas might find it difficult to keep the sunscreen on for long periods, especially if going out in the sun. A good tip is to wash face with chilled water, and then applying a light moisturizer mixed with sunscreen.
1) Remove Makeup: (2 minutes) – For the night, start by removing your make up, especially around the eyes. A Q-tip or an ear bud is extremely effective to rub away the colors and liners. Use separate Q-tip for the mascara on the lashes. Make sure that the quality of makeup remover is good and suitable for your skin type.
2) Wash and Cleanse: (2 minutes) – Follow Step 1 from above. Remember to use tepid water, and never rub your skin dry. Instead, use light taps to dry out the excess water.
3) Night Cream: (1 minute) – Finish by using a light night cream. The skin repairs itself at night. A good night cream nourishes skin and helps it recover from the onslaught of free radicals and sun damage sustained during the day.
As we age, our skin matures and becomes thinner. Adding an eye cream to the regimen will not only soften the lines around the eyes, it will also help with firming the area under the eyes and reduce the appearance of unsightly bags.
Incorporating these steps into your daily wash routine will hardly take 7-10 minutes of your time, but it will add 10 years of youthful glow to your skin, paving way for compliments even when you are well over the youthful stage of your life.