Given all of the busyness and outdoor fun to be had on the Fourth of July, it’s maybe not a bad idea for July 3 to be Stay Out of the Sun Day (especially since it’s supposed to be a scorcher here in Billings). In the Magic City there are many family-oriented indoor activities available for families to enjoy.
Stay out of the sun and have some fun by…
- Going bowling – The Billings area offers several great (nice and cool) bowling alleys for you to enjoy. Check out this Family Night article, Hit the lanes rolling, let’s go bowling for all your local bowling information.
- Having an indoor picnic – Summertime is an excellent time to enjoy a picnic, but who says it has to be outdoors? In the plus column for an indoor picnic: no sweltering sun beating on you, no bugs (hopefully), and no need to spend a half-hour getting everyone lathered in sunscreen.
- Going to an indoor water park – Just because you’re spending time indoors doesn’t mean you can’t have some wonderful water times. For your local indoor water adventure, go to The Reef for a splashy good time.
- Hitting the book stores – If the third didn’t fall on a Sunday, I’d also recommend heading into the Parmly Billings Library, but from Memorial Day to Labor Day, they are closed on Sundays. Book stores are a wonderful place to lose yourself in and there are areas for the entire family to explore. Whether you’re stumbling across the wonders of a used book store or are heading into Borders or Barnes and Noble, a book store is a great way to get in out of the sun.
- Getting creative – While you catch up on your scrapbooking, set the kids up with some fun Independance Day crafts. For craft ideas, check out Disney’s Family Fun and these cute ideas from Crafts Kaboose.
- Visiting museums – Whether you’re exploring the Yellowstone Art Museum or getting a touch of Billings history at the Moss Mansion or the Western Heritage Center spending a day or afternoon at the museum is a wonderful opportunity for the whole family to enjoy.
What are your favorite ways of staying in and beating the heat?
Wishing you and your family a safe and happy Fourth of July and a cool and family-fun filled third of July!
Don’t miss our next installment, click on the SUBSCRIBE button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications of the Billings Early/Childhood Parenting Examiner’s articles. You can also connect with her on Facebook,Twitter @LovingAbigail, and GoogleBuzz.
You might also enjoy her National TV Moms column where she examines the parenting issues that TV moms face.