Art Walk Fort Myers and Claudia Goode are looking for two to three dozen accomplished artists who’d like to exhibit their work during the 2011-2012 Saturday Art Fair. The fair follows the increasingly popular Art Walk, which is held on the first Friday night of each month. Here’s the conclusion of a two-part profile on Art Walk’s Saturday sister.
* * *
Description: Two dozen accomplished artists treat River District art lovers to affordable new original works in oil, acrylic, watercolor, prints, photography, metal sculpture, ceramics, hand-crafted jewelry, designer wear and unique artsy gifts of all kinds. The downtown galleries will be open, with many offering “Make and Take” art projects for both children or adults.
Cost: Attendance if free.
Parking: Ample free parking within walking distance
Organizer: Fort Myers Art Walk Committee
Director: Claudia Goode, Arts for ACT Gallery
Facebook: None at present.
- The Saturday Art Fair takes place a mere two blocks from the Bay Street entrance to Fort Myers’ historic Centennial Park.
- Centennial Park is home to two of Fort Myers’ most notable public art installations, a fountain and sculpture dedicated to Uncommon Friends Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone and a memorial to the 2nd Regiment of the United States Colored Troops, who repelled an attack by Confederate troops on Fort Myers in the southernmost battle of the Civil War on February 20, 1865.
- Centennial Park will also soon be home to another public art piece, a 30-foot tall all-red modern art sculpture called Fire Dance which is being installed in the fall.
- Other works included in the City of Fort Myers’ public art collection are also close by, such as Parallel Park and the Barbara Jo Revelle ceramic tile mural, and the Jim Sanborn light sculpture,Caloosahatchee Manuscripts, is on the sidewalk on First Street in front of the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center.
- Many people time their visit to the Saturday Art Fair with a trip to the Edison Estate, the Southwest Florida Museum of History or the Imaginarium.
Related Articles and Links:
Art Walk Fort Myers issues call to artists for 2011-2012 Saturday Art Fair