Ban period over, waiting to hear from BCCI: Ankeet Chavan


Ban period over, waiting to hear from BCCI: Ankeet Chavan MUMBAI: Mumbai cricketer Ankeet Chavan, who, along with his then Rajasthan Royals S Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila was banned for life by the Board in 2013 for his alleged involvement in the IPL spot-fixing scandal, has claimed that BCCI Ombudsman DK Jain has reduced his life ban to seven years, which means he’s eligible to play now. He is now just waiting for a formal communication from the BCCI in this regard.
“The BCCI Ombudsman has reduced my life ban to seven years. My hearing took place on April 19, and the Ombudsman passed the order in my case on May 3. For the past month, I’ve been writing to the BCCI, but there’s been no response. So, I wrote to the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA). I need an official letter from the BCCI that my ban has been reduced to seven years, so that I can give my availability to play from this season the MCA. I’m waiting for that letter to start my cricket. I’ve requested the MCA to ask the BCCI to look into the matter,” Chavan told TOI on Saturday.
“See, my case is similar to that of Sreesanth’s. His ban too was reduced to seven years. In his case, the BCCI Ombudsman’s order came before his quantum (of punishment) got over, in mine, the order came after the quantum (of punishment) got over. My seven-year ban period was over on September 20, 2020,” said the 35-year-old.
While Chavan’s letter to the MCA is listed as one of the agenda item number 8 (e) in association’s Apex Council meeting on June 11, it’s unlikely that the MCA will take up Chavan’s case with the BCCI, since it thinks “it’s not in its purview.” “The MCA does not have jurisdiction to interfere in Chavan’s case as the matter is listed with the BCCI. This is the BCCI’s matter, who are we to take a decision? We will only note the receipt of his application,” a source in the MCA told this paper.
Chavan had written to the MCA in this regard last year too, but didn’t get a response, as the MCA has left the issue to the BCCI.
MCA may announce Kanga schedule on June 11
Meanwhile, with the state government giving permission for team sports to resume from Monday, the MCA may announce the schedule of the Kanga League knockouts, and the Kanga League-it’s traditional monsoon tournament- in its Apex Council meeting on June 11. “The Maharashtra government is easing our restrictions from June 7. We may announce the schedule of our local tournaments on that day,” informed a source.

Source

Previous Floyd Mayweather reacts to going the distance with Logan Paul
Next Pakistan name Moin Khan’s son Azam in T20 squad for

Suggested Posts

Bob Arum: Teofimo Lopez only has himself to blame for

Personal equations don’t matter when you’re playing for India: Mithali

PCB plans June 5 start of PSL in Abu Dhabi,

Now, Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan face heat for tweets

Jermell Charlo says Brian Castano will be surprised by him

Anthony Joshua warns Deontay Wilder