Definition: When a person is unable to produce speech sounds correctly or fluently, or has problems with his or her voice (ASHA, 2009).
· Common to boys with fragile X syndrome
· Affected by the physical, cognitive, and sensory-motor characteristics (Plumley, K. 2009).
· Traumatic Brain Injury
· Parkinson’s Disease
· Huntington’s Disease
· Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ASHA, 2009).
Description: An impairment of the articulation of speech sounds, fluency, and/or voice (ASHA, 2009).
· Difficulties pronouncing sounds
· Articulation disorders,
· Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders
· Fluency Disorders
· Motor Speech Disorders (ASHA, 2009).
· Speech (articulation) problems (Plumley, K. 2009).
Effective Teaching Strategies:
· Collaborate with speech therapist
· Extra time to answer questions
· Encourage speech practice
· One-on-one conversations
· Keep lectures clear, simple, pronounced, and in proper language syntax (Plumley, K. 2009).
· Inclusive setting with speech therapist consultation.
· General classrroom with speech services in classroom or resource room.
· General classroom with resource room pullouts for specific subjects.
· Self-contained classroom.
· Residential facitity (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 1982).
Columbiana County Educational Resource Center
38720 Saltwell Road
(330)424-9591 – office
(330)424-9481 – fax
Describes the role of a speech pathologist, provides forms, professional resources, resources for speech and langauge pathologists, service delivery resources, assessment, professional development resources, speech resources, langauge-literacy resources, executive functioning, multi-media resources, visual stratgies, graphics, symbols, deaf, hard of hearing, listening and auditory resources, and AAC.
Language Learning Associates
150 N. Miller Rd. Bldg. 150A
Akron, OH 44333
(330) 867-2240; (330) 952-0403
Email: [email protected]
A speech-language private practice that provides the highest quality prevention, diagnostic, treatment, and support services to people of all ages and cultures.
Susan Jackson, CCC-SLP
38720 Saltwell Road
Dr. Susan Jackson is experienced with Speech Generating Technology and practices speech pathology / therapy.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. (1982, February, 21). Issues in the delivery of services to individuals with learning disabilities. Retrieved on October 7, 2009from http://www.asha.org/docs/html/PS1982-00094.html
Plumley, K. (2009, August 27). Communication Disorders in the Classroom: tips for helping students with speech and language development. Suite101. Retrieved on October 7, 2009, from http://developmentally-challenged-ed.suite101.com/article.cfm/communication_disorders_in_the_classroom