Whenever you go to Barcelona or Madrid, at around 9 p.m., you can enjoy the scene of local bistros that serve up tapas all night long. It is a time to enjoy a multitude of local dishes and a time to converse with friends and family.
Spanish tapas are similar to the Greek meze and can consist of cold and warm dishes and the combinations are endless.
- Origin: Spain
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 loaf of artisan country bread (thickly sliced)
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes (halved)
- 4 cloves of garlic (whole)
- Spanish olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 16 slices of Jamon Serrano
- 16 slices of Lomo
- 1 chorizo picante
- 1 sobrasadas sausage
- 4 piquillo peppers
- 8 Guindillas peppers
- mixed Spanish olives
- Roll the Jamon Serrano and Lomo and plate in rows.
- Slice the sobrasadas sausage and chorizo thin and plate in rows.
- Slice the piquillo peppers in strips and place in between the rows of meat, alternating with the Guindillas and Spanish olives.
- Slice the artisan bread thick and either toast or place under a broiler on high until brown and crispy on both sides. Slice in half before serving.
How to make Pan Catalan at the table
- Rub the garlic clove on one side of the bread.
- Rub the halved tomato on the same side and squeeze so the juices of the tomato will be absorbed.
- Sprinkle with Spanish olive oil and pepper.
- Below are some suggestions and alternatives on what to include when you prepare for a tapas meal in your home.
Cold tapas dishes
- Meats: Jamon Serrano, Jamon Iberico, Jamon Iberico de Bellota, Lomo, Chorizo.
- Cheeses: Manchego, Tetilla, Cabrales.
- Fish: pickled mussels, pickled sardines, razor clams, bacalao, bonito.
- Condiments: guindillas, piquillo, olives, picos, pan Catalan.
Warm tapas dishes
- Meats: Berberechos, Albondigas, Faves con Morcilla.
- Fish: Mussels, bonito, abalone, culengues.
- Condiments: caracoles, picos con pisto, pan Catalan.
Any combination is sure to provide an evening of pleasure and delicious tasting and all ingredients can be found in your local specialty supermarket or can be ordered online here.
Join us again tomorrow when we return to Savannah, GA to prepare cod filet with a peach salsa. Bon appétit!