In a discussion at The Way of Life Spiritual Development Center in Richmond, Virginia, one student remarked, “I have noticed that some Christians grow while others are complete midgets. What makes the difference?”
Another student answered: “The main difference is that Christians who desire to grow spend time in God’s word and obey God’s commandments. In doing so, they develop a personal relationship with God. Some people want to grow in God, but they also want to keep one foot in the world. They cannot grow by serving two masters according to Matthew 6:24.”
Then the teacher gave an assignment for the student to come up with a list of signs of spiritual growth? See how many signs listed below apply to you.
- You have no problem forgiving people who have wronged you.
- You love everyone; even the unlovable.
- You focus on pleasing God rather than trying to please people.
- Instead of cursing people, you bless them.
- Instead of immersing yourself in alcohol, drugs, nicotine or sex, you immerse yourself in God’s word.
- You give your time, talent, and tithes to the kingdom of God because you embrace the principles of giving.
- Instead of worrying, you pray to God and praise God.
- You respect your leaders.
- You keep your word.
- Instead of murmuring, whining and complaining about a problem, you make every effort to solve the problem.
- You humble yourself.
- You seek God first in EVERY situation.
If you answered “NO” to at least one of the above, you have not grown to be all that God wants you to be. Work on those areas in which you are lacking.
We must grow up in ALL THINGS into him who is the head, into Christ. (Ephesians 4:15)