Things could be looking good for American pairs skating. After teaming up just over two months ago, Caydee Denney and John Coughlin won the short program at the Liberty Summer Competition earlier this month, and took both the short program and the free skate by over ten points each at this weekend’s Indy Challenge. Canadian bronze medalists Paige Lawrence and Rudi Swiegers were second in both phases.
Related: Lake Placid Ice Dance results
Denney and Coughlin delivered yet another clean short program, complete with side-by-side triple toes, a huge triple twist, and a throw triple lutz. With the exception of a fall on their side-by-side double axels, they skated a strong free skate, scoring a 116.02 for their effort.
The Indy Challenge is for pairs what the Lake Placid Championships is for ice dance. American and Canadian pairs use this pre-season event to try out next programs, and new pairs, like Denney and Coughlin, generally debut at this competition to get some competition experience under their belts prior to the bigger events in the fall.
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM
1. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 63.14
2. Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers – 51.28
3. Andrea Poapst/Chris Knierim – 50.55
4. Lindsay Davis/Leftheris Themistocles – 50.03
5. Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin – 48.95
6. Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan – 47.88
7. Cassie Andrews/Tim LeDuc – 46.91
8. Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro – 46.60
9. Taylor Steele/Rob Schultz – 45.94
10. Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff – 45.94
PAIRS FREE SKATE
1. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin – 116.02
2. Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers – 105.61
3. Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin – 99.22
4. Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan – 97.61
5. Andrea Poapst/Chris Knierim – 92.69
6. Lindsay Davis/Leftheris Themistocles – 92.65
7. Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff – 92.28
8. Cassie Andrew/Tim LeDuc – 90.71
9. Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro – 90.49
10. Taylor Steele/Rob Schultz – 84.40
Follow Jackie on Twitter for breaking news: http://twitter.com/examinerskating. Get the latest figure skating results and analyses by clicking the “Subscribe” link above.