After classical guitarist Carlos Bonnell took on Queen songs for his last album, “Guitar Rhapsodies,” he decided to take on maybe an even more challenging target and try the Beatles.
The result, “Magical Mystery Guitar Tour,” is an excellent melodic journey weaving Bonnell’s fluid guitar artistry with the familiar melodies of Lennon-McCartney and George Harrison
Bonnell doesn’t just replay the songs. In “Here Comes the Sun,” which starts the album, he opens with the familiar Harrison melody, but takes off with a enchanting and imaginative guitar riff that builds on the original song.
Bonnell’s style works wonders here. His fingers create a beautiful moody atmosphere. “Penny Lane,” for example, becomes the property of a Renaissance minstrel. The psychedelic effect of “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” is changed to delicate guitar stylings. “Eleanor Rigby” begins with an extended bass riff before the familiar melody is brought in.
And “Yesterday” begins with a classical riff weaved in that gives real power to a song usually called a soft love song.
The album features 12 Lennon-McCartney songs and two by George Harrison. It’s always a pleasure to hear imaginiative interpretations of Beatle songs. “Magical Mystery Guitar Tour” is all that and more.
© COPYRIGHT STATEMENT: This article is the original work of Stan. Under no circumstance may any portion of this article be broadcast, copied, published, rewritten or used without the permission of the author. Please feel free to link to this article, however. To purchase this or any other article by Stan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on joltleft.com.
- If you love the Beatles and want to keep up with what’s really happening with them, be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page. (And don’t miss our Paul McCartney Examiner column at http://joltleft.com/paul-mccartney-in-national/steve-marinucci.)
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at email@example.com.
- See all the Beatles Examiner columns: http://joltleft.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re now on Google+! Join us!
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525 or our new Paul McCartney Examiner page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-McCartney-Examiner/185104808204671 on Facebook.
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!