Republicans all across the country are running scared and hiding from their constituents. If you recall in August 2009 at Town Hall meetings around the country, republican members of Congress gladly held Town Hall meetings so the media could see Tea Party folk screaming in anger against health reforms promoted by Democrats and President Obama. GOP front groups such as Americans for (Corporate) Prosperity who co-opted the Tea Party, even sent out instructions on how to be loud and obnoxious at the Town Hall meetings. How to drown out the audience, basically, instructions on how to be a jerk on TV. This was cross promoted by Glenn Beck and Fox “News”.
Then in August 2010 Republicans again had the Tea Party Folk screaming at Town Hall meetings all across the country, this time for jobs, again directing their ire at Democrats and President Obama.
Now its August 2011 and Republicans now control the US House of Representatives, and their hiding from their constituents by either not holding Town Hall meetings or charging people to talk to them at Town Hall meetings. They are actually charging people to get a chance to ask a question, they have a warped vision of how democracy works.
- Freshman Rep. Joe Heck (R-NV) is now charging people to attended his Town Hall meeting. He recently held a meeting in which many of his constituents refused to pay to talk to their representative. And when they protested being charged to talk to him, the Joe Heck campaigned called the police to have them removed.
- Freshman Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA) has decided against holding any public town halls meetings, instead she says she has been holding meet ups at local coffee shops, but refuses to say when and where they will take place. She won’t even tell the press where the meet ups will or have taken place.
- Freshman Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) is hiding and not holding any town hall meetings, but he says he has an excuse for hiding from his voters, Barletta said, “What other elected officials are having town hall meetings?” Barletta actually campaigned against former Rep. Paul Kanjorski’s (D) refusal to hold town hall meetings after facing “ambushes by hecklers”, the Tea Party Folk.
- Daniel Webster (R-FL) and Tim Griffin (R-AR), are taking this trend one step further, using disturbing intimidation tactics and “watch lists” to discourage constituents from asking them questions.
- Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH), currently serving his 8th term, held a town hall meeting, but he had cameras and cell phones confiscated by security because he did not want activists to post his meeting online, but the local media was there and allowed to use cameras.
Republicans do not want to talk about jobs to the people they represent, Nevada’s recently appointed republican US Senator Dean Heller, in response to Shelley Berkley (D-NV) talking about how to create jobs, Heller said, now “is not the time to talk about it” referring to jobs and the economy in Nevada. (Watch video on the left).
Republicans just don’t want to look their constituents in the eyes and talk about jobs. Why? Because they have no clue on how to create jobs. The only things they have shown to be competent in, are killing jobs, stopping or slowing the US economic recovery, and how too criticize others for problems they themselves have created.
The Republican Party believes that ALL government is Bad, then they get elected and prove it.
Don’t miss any of the Las Vegas Democrat Examiner articles: Click Subscribe and enter your email address or choose the RSS feed. Either way you’ll be alerted to the latest column when it’s published. And don’t forget to click Email to send this article to a friend.