All Aboard the Polar Express!
Getaway to Carson City, Nevada during the upcoming holiday season to board an official Polar Express Train for a family-friendly train ride to meet Santa Claus. The one-hour train rides leave from the Carson City Eastgate Depot and travel to Santa’s North Pole – just two miles away.
During the journey to see Santa, the Conductor will punch tickets and chefs will serve yummy hot chocolate, followed by a reading of Van Allsburg’s classic book by the same name.
At the North Pole, Santa will board the train and greet the children! And Santa has a gift for those who truly believe – a silver sleigh bell.
There will be Christmas caroling on board the train on the return trip to the depot.
The Polar Express departs Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., Thanksgiving weekend through December 23. This is a holiday ride for the entire family.
Afterwards try one of the Carson City area restaurants listed in Sharon Gay’s Carson City Restaurant Guide and Genoa, Minden, Gardenerville Restaurant Guide for the very best in local dining options.
For more information about Nevada’s historical trains, see “All Aboard Nevada Trains“.
“Well, are you coming?” asks the Conductor.
“Where?” asks the Boy.
“Why, to the North Pole, of course. This is The Polar Express!”
Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City, Nevada is home of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad – with a collection of locomotives, rolling stock and artifacts. While at the museum, enjoy the museum exhibits, including a model train layout.
The Virginia & Truckee Railroad is one of the officially licensed Polar Express Train Ride events nationwide this holiday season. This historic 100-year train, complete with decorated passenger cars and Christmas music, leaves the Carson City Eastgate Depot located seven miles east of Downtown Carson City, and travels nearly two miles before staging at Santa’s mythical North Pole retreat.
The Polar Express train rides are based on the holiday feature film from Warner Bros. Pictures and the beloved children’s book, by Chris Van Allsburg, about a doubting young boy who takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole on Christmas Eve.
The Virginia & Truckee Railroad has partnered with Rail Events Inc. (through Warner Brothers Consumer Products, Inc.) to bring the officially licensed train ride event to Carson City this holiday season.
Set to the sounds of the motion picture soundtrack, pajama clad passengers will relive the magic of the story as this nighttime train whisks families away for an unforgettable ride to the North Pole.
POLAR EXPRESS TICKETS AVAILABLE
To book Carson City, Nevada Polar Express Train Ride tickets in advance call 775-687-7410.
Tickets include keepsake silver bell, hot chocolate, cookies, entertainment and reading of Polar Express.
Tickets are free for children two and under, $25 for ages 3-12 and $34 for 13 and older.
Directions to the Carson City Depot: In Carson City, take Hwy. 50 East past Eagle Valley Golf Course. Turn right on Flint Dr. After 2/3 mile, turn left. Follow the signs to East Gate Depot.
Click on the railroad reservations sites below to take a ride on The Polar Express™ across the United States.
- Grand Canyon Railway, Williams, AZ 1-800-THE-TRAIN (1-800-843-8724) www.thetrain.com
- The California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento, CA (916) 445-8270 www.csrmf.org
- Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, Durango, CO 1-888-TRAIN-07 (1-888-872-4607) www.durangotrain.com
- Nevada Northern Railway, Ely, NV 1-866-407-8326 www.nevadanorthernrailway.net
- Texas State Railroad, Palestine & Rusk, TX 1-888-987-2461 www.TexasStateRR.com
- West Texas & Lubbock Railroad, Lubbock, TX 877-726-7245 www.westtexaspolarexpressride.com
- Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum, Calera, AL 205-280-0820 www.heartofdixierrmuseum.org
- Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, Bryson City, NC 1-800-872-4681 www.gsmr.com
- Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, Chattanooga, TN 423-894-8028 www.tvrail.com
- West Coast Railway Heritage Park, Squamish, British Columbia 604-898-9336 www.wcra.org
- Mt. Hood Railroad, Hood River, OR 800-872-4661 www.mthoodrr.com
- Chehalis-Centralia Railroad Association, Chehalis, WA 360-748-9593 www.steamtrainride.com
- Fox River Trolley Museum, South Elgin, IL (847) 697-4676 www.foxtrolley.org
- Monticello Railway Museum, Monticello, IL (877) 762-9011 www.mrym.org
- Whitewater Valley Scenic Railroad, Connersville, IN (765) 825-2054 www.whitewatervalleyrr.org
- French Lick Scenic Railway, French Lick, IN 866-468-3401 www.indianarailwaymuseum.org
- Triton Music Parents Organization, Newburyport, MA 978-462-8171, x4271 www.tritonarts.net
- Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Lenox, MA (413) 637-2210 www.berkshirescenicrailroad.org
- Blackstone Valley Tourism Council, Cumberland, RI (401) 724-2200 www.tourblackstone.com
- Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, Portland, ME 207- 828-0814 www.mngrr.org
- Branson Scenic Railway, Branson, MO 800-2TRAIN2 (800-287-2462) www.bransontrain.com
- New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society, Inc., Phillipsburg, NJ (877) 872-4674 www.877trainride.com
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad, Utica, NY 1-800-819-2291 www.adirondackrr.com
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, Peninsula, OH 1-800-468-4070 www.cvsr.com
- Dennison Railroad Depot Museum, Dennison, OH 740-922-6776 www.dennisondepot.org
- Newport Dinner Train, Newport, RI 401-841-8700 (1-800-398-7427) www.NewportDinnerTrain.com
- National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, WI 920-437-7623 ext.10 www.nationalrrmuseum.org
- Vermont Children’s Trust Foundation, Burlington, VT (802) 951-8604 www.vtchildrenstrust.org
- Hartford Area Chamber of Commerce, White River Junction, VT 802-295-7900 www.hartfordvtpolarexpress.com
Watch the Pere Marquette 1225, the train modeled in the Polar Express movie. The train resides at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Michigan.
For more information on travel deals, dining, lodging, activity information and further details on the V&T train, call 800-Nevada-1.