Getting out of the house may seem like a lot of work with a new baby around. It can also be scary bringing such a fragile little thing out into the big world. However, after those six weeks of light duty and being stuck in the house, you may be craving a breath of fresh air. Getting out is very beneficial for both you and your baby, so don’t be scared to try. The following are a few places in St. Petersburg that would make a great day out for a new mom and baby!
1. St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas are home to many parks. A park is a great place for a new mom and baby because of the relaxing outdoor atmosphere. You can pack a lunch and eat under a shady tree. You can sit on a bench and read while your baby takes a nap. Most of the local parks have a paved walking trial that would be great for pushing the stroller on. Best of all, most of the local parks are totally free to use! Go ahead, get out and take a much needed breath of fresh air. Check out a local park near you, such as Sawgrass Lake Park or Abercrombie Park, today.
2. Have you ever heard of retail therapy? Shopping can make just about any boring day better. The Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg is a great place to get out and walk around with your baby. The mall is large, so it is pretty stroller friendly. Whether you have money to blow or are just window shopping, you are still out of the house and out of the heat as well. Browse through a wide variety of stores such as Macy’s, Sears, JC Penny, Gap, Hollister, and more. You can even enjoy a lunch break in the cafeteria or at one of the many restaurants located throughout the mall!
3. If you are a bargain shopper, the 66th Street Flea Market, is a great place to bargain hunt with your baby. It is an indoor flea market which keeps you and baby out of the unpredictable Florida weather. It is the one of the newest flea markets in the area and already has many great reviews! They are open every weekend, Friday through Sunday.
It is also good to know what types of places to avoid. It can be a lot of work to get a baby packed up and ready to. You do not want to go through all that trouble to get somewhere and realize it is not a baby friendly place. The following are some places to avoid with a young baby.
1. If you plan on doing a lot of walking, try to avoid places that are not stroller friendly. You will soon realize that your expensive travel system can be hard to push around in many places. Small isles or rough terrain can be hard to manage with your stroller. For example, the stores at John’s Pass on Madeira Beach are very tiny and hard to get around in with a stroller.
2. In the warm Florida weather you should avoid places that do not offer shade. A young baby can over heat or get sun burnt very easily. As much as everyone loves the beach, it is not a good place to bring your young baby. In fact, with the way the sun reflects off of the water and sand, your baby can get sun burnt even if he is under an umbrella.
There are many places in St. Petersburg to visit with your baby! Remember to check ahead to ensure that your destination is baby and stroller friendly!