It’s officially July 4th weekend and families all over the country are preparing for barbecues.
While kids love hotdogs and burgers, here is a fun patriotic snack and dessert that you and your kids can make together and enjoy!
Patriotic Pretzel Sticks
Long fat Pretzel sticks
White chocolate candy melts
Patriotic sprinkles or red or blue sprinkles
Melt candy melts in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave and stir every 30 seconds until completely melted. Dip ends of pretzel sticks about halfway up the stick. Sprinkle with sprinkles. Set on waxed paper and allow to chill several minutes until sets.
Booming Firecracker Cupcakes
- 1 (18 oz. ) box of devils food cake mix
- 1 1/4 C of sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C of canola oil
- 2 T instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 t ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 (11.5 oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate chunks
- 2 t flour
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 2 1/2 C of powdered sugar
- Red and blue food coloring
- 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 C of whipping cream
- Allow the oven temperature to rise to 350 degrees.
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Dump the devils food cake mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the sour cream, eggs, and oil.
- Sprinkle in the coffee crystals and pepper.
- With an electric mixer on low speed beat the ingredients for 45 seconds.
- Adjust the speed to medium and continue beating 2 minutes making the batter thick.
- Place the flour in a small bowl.
- Add the chocolate chunks and toss to coat.
- Fold the chocolate into the cupcake batter.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full of the batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly touched.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to wire racks to continue cooling.
- Place the cream cheese and the butter into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until the mixture reaches a frosting consistency.
- Separate the frosting into 3 small bowls and tint one bowl with the red food coloring and 1 bowl with the blue food coloring.
- Frost the cupcakes dividing between the 3 different colors.
- Place the chopped chocolate into a small mixing bowl.
- Heat the whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat to just boiling.
- Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Place the mixture into a sealable baggie.
- Snip one corner of the baggie and drizzle the chocolate over the frosted cupcakes.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Happy July 4th!!!!
SUBSCRIBE above to receive email alerts about parenting issues
Click here for more of Ross’ articles
Learn more about parenting and family issues at Love Our Children USA™
Twitter me at http://twitter.com/ProtectChildren
Ross Ellis is also the Examiner for:
NY Parenting Issues
National Cyber Safety
NY Real Estate