Orange County Public Schools are working to reduce energy costs and become more environmentally friendly in their day-to-day operations. In collaboration with the Orlando Utilities Commission they have reduced their energy consumption by 1.59 megawatts saving the school district $618,942 annually.
In a September 14, 2010 update to the OCPS energy plan the amount paid for electricity is declared to make up 89% of the utility budget. The remaining 11% of the budget is shared by natural gas, water, sewer, propane, diesel fuel, gasoline and irrigation. Reducing electricity usage countywide is the most efficient method to reduce energy costs for the school district.
The Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC) recently replaced inefficient lamps and standard magnetic ballasts with high-efficient fluorescent lamps and electric ballasts for OCPS. This was for the Commercial Indoor Lighting Retrofit Program. The program has retrofitted more than 30 school buildings to date at no cost to OCPS.
A few of the other actions being taken by OCPS to reduce energy consumption as outlined in the energy plan are:
- The Energy Administration department set a districtwide goal to reduce occupied operations of school buildings
- District wide shutdown of schools during spring, winter and summer breaks
- Designed and constructed more energy efficient school buildings
- Track of billing errors, equipment failures and apply for energy efficiency rebates
OCPS is working to reduce their energy consumption and costs in many different areas. The partnership with OUC in the Commercial Indoor Lighting Retrofit Program has provided them with tremendous savings of electricity use and cost.