Now that the nasty debate over increasing the debt limit has been resolved, the president can get to work adding jobs and bolstering the weak economy.
Mike Allen of Politico’s “Playbook” broke the news good yesterday in an article headlined “Obama and Senate Dems Plan Pivot to Jobs.” In the course of the upbeat article, Allen wrote:
Senate Democrats hope they now have ‘checked the box’ on debt reduction and can move to an agenda focused on job creation and economic growth, through a combination of spending and tax cuts.
If the notion of “pivoting to jobs” has a familiar ring to it, it is because we’ve heard this tune 14 times before in the two-and-a-half years since Barack Obama took the oath of office.
Ben Smith, also of Politico, chronicles the many times the president and/or top Democrats claimed their focus was shifting from health care or the Arab Spring or whatever else was on their plates to putting Americans back to work. Let the Republican National Committee count the ways:
- 11/2/09: President Obama Said that the Economy Was His “Overriding Focus.” “This is my administration’s overriding focus. Having brought the economy back from the brink, the question is how are we going to make sure that people are getting back to work and able to support their families.” (President Barack Obama, “Remarks by the President During the Meeting of the President’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board,” The White House)
- 1/14/10: Obama Says He Will “Have a Sustained and Relentless Focus over the Next Several Months on Accelerating the Pace of Job Creation, Because that’s Priority Number One.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks at the House Democratic Caucus Retreat, Washington)
- 1/28/10: Obama Told Town Hall in Tampa, Florida that “Creating Jobs Has to Be Our Number One Priority in 2010.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At Town Hall Meeting, Tampa, FL)
- 1/29/10: Obama Told Congressional Republicans that Americans “Want Us to Focus on Their Job Security.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At GOP House Issues Conference, Baltimore, MD)
- 3/17/10: Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY): “Congress Is Focusing on What the American People Want Us to Focus On, Which Is Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.” (Brian Faler, “Tax Break For New Hires Clear Congress in Jobs Bill,” Bloomberg)
- 4/27/10: “Obama to Focus on Jobs, Rural Economy in Two-Day Midwest Trip,” “President Barack Obama Embarks on A Two-Day, Campaign-Style Swing Through the Rural Midwest Today to Talk About the U.S. Economy And Jobs As He Turns Attention to What Will Be A Top Issue in the November Midterm Elections.” (Roger Runningen, “Obama to Focus on Jobs, Rural Economy in Two-Day Midwest Trip,” Bloomberg)
- 5/18/10: “Democrats Shifting Focus Back to Jobs Creation.” (Jackie Calmes, “Democrats Shifting Focus Back to Jobs Creation,” the New York Times)
- 6/17/10: The Obama Administration Kicks Off “Recovery Summer … A Six-Week Long Push Designed to Highlight the Jobs Accompanying A Surge in Stimulus-Funded Projects.” “Vice President Joe Biden today will kick off the Obama administration’s ‘Recovery Summer,’ a six-week-long push designed to highlight the jobs accompanying a surge in stimulus-funded projects to improve highways, parks, drinking water and other public works.” (Mike Allen, “Obama, Biden Declare ‘Recovery Summer’,” Politico)
- 7/12/10: Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV): “This Work Period, Like Every Work Period, Will Be About Jobs: How to Create Them, How to Save Them …” (Sen. Harry Reid, Floor Remarks)
- 8/25/10: MSNBC’s Chuck Todd: “I Have to Say These Housing Numbers, This Entire Summer, Remember It Began – The Administration Called It ‘Recovery Summer.’ Every Economic Indicator Has Collapsed in the Last Two Months.” (MSNBC, “The Daily Rundown”)
- 9/8/10: Obama Launches A “Hail-Mary Pass to Stimulate the Economy And Create New Jobs.” “Facing a grim unemployment picture and potentially disastrous mid-term elections for Democrats, President Obama is launching the political equivalent of a hail-Mary pass to stimulate the economy and create new jobs.” (Editorial, “Desperately Seeking Jobs,” The Miami Herald)
- 12/22/10: President Obama Said “We Now Have to Pivot and Focus on Jobs and Growth.” Obama Added that “Making a Dent in the Unemployment Rate” Was His “Singular Focus.” “And my singular focus over the next two years is not rescuing the economy from potential disaster, but rather jumpstarting the economy so that we actually start making a dent in the unemployment rate and we are equipping ourselves so that we can compete in the 21st century.” (President Barack Obama, News Conference, Washington, DC)
- 1/31/11: “The White House Has Quickly Pivoted to Jobs After the President’s State of the Union.” “Turning to domestic politics, the White House has quickly pivoted to jobs after the president’s State of the Union — even if it’s being overshadowed by the situation in Egypt.” (“First Thoughts: Balancing Act,” NBC News’ “First Read”)
- 4/1/11: “Obama’s Day: Turning Back to Jobs … President Obama Returns Today to What He Calls His Top Priority: Jobs.” “Though his presidential hours have been crowded by Libya, Japan and other foreign policy challenges, President Obama returns today to what he calls his top priority: jobs.” (David Jackson, “Obama’s Day: Turning Back to Jobs,” USA Today)
- Deal reached: Debt default averted (Video)
Click Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.