Adrian Peterson, aka “AP”, is the overwhelming choice of the Examiner panel as the most valuable running back in the upcoming 2011 fantasy football draft.
It would have been unanimous, except yours truly prefers Arian Foster of the Houston Texans. Peterson has been a bridesmaid the last two years as the Titans’ Chris Johnson and Foster have finished ahead of him in rushing..
But this year will be different as the Vikings have a new head coach, a new starting quarterback and what is expected to be a renewed emphasis on letting Peterson carry the offensive load. In his four-year career as a Viking, AP has 5,782 yards rushing and 54 touchdowns in 61 games.
LeGarrette Blount of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was the only running back to get two votes as the “Sleeper” in the upcoming fantasy football draft. The seven panel members nominated six different backs for consideration in this category.
The “Dud” in the survey was Peyton Hillis (three votes), which may be of concern to Browns fans because teammate Colt McCoy was selected the “Dud” at quarterback by the Examiner panel last week.
The “Top Rookie” running back was a tie between Mikel Leshoure of the Lions and New Orleans’ Mark Ingram. Leshoure and Ingram each received two votes.
Here are the fantasy football panel results by category and by Examiner.
MVP – #1 running back to draft
- Arian Foster, Texans – Darwin (Deni) Martin, Detroit Fantasy Sports Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Michael Gould, Dallas Fantasy Sports Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Chris Morgan, Detroit Lions Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Samuel Lam, San Francisco 49ers Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Greg Arias, Tennessee Titans Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Kevin Pool, Cincinnati Sports Examiner
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings – Dan Rose, Kansas City Chiefs Examiner
SLEEPER – not necessarily a starter, but a solid reserve running back
- Daniel Thomas, Dolphins – Darwin (Deni) Martin
- LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers – Michael Gould
- Shonn Greene, Jets – Chris Morgan
- Jahvid Best, Lions – Samuel Lam
- LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers – Greg Arias
- DeAngelo Williams, Panthers – Kevin Pool
- Ryan Mathews, Chargers – Dan Rose
DUD – a potentially disappointing fantasy football draft selection
- Beanie Wells, Cardinals – Darwin (Deni) Martin
- Arian Foster, Texans – Michael Gould
- Peyton HIllis, Browns – Chris Morgan
- Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars – Samuel Lam
- Peyton HIllis, Browns – Greg Arias
- Peyton HIllis, Browns – Kevin Pool
- Beanie Wells, Cardinals – Dan Rose
TOP ROOKIE – the next fantasy football star running back
- Mikel Leshoure, Lions – Darwin (Deni) Martin
- Demarco Murray, Cowboys – Michael Gould
- Ryan Williams, Cardinals – Chris Morgan
- Mark Ingram, Saints – Samuel Lam
- Mark Ingram, Saints – Greg Arias
- Daniel Thomas, Dolphins – Kevin Pool
- Mikel Leshoure, Lions – Dan Rose
The panel results for NFL wide receivers.