If you aren’t sure what Netflix Streaming is, check out my dated article. I’m sure the prices have changed.
Suggestions available now on Netflix Instant Streaming:
1) Superman: The Movie – Yup, this is the original from 1978 with Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando. Not only is this one a classic superhero movie but there is another remake/reboot/whatever in the works right now. It’s always fun to go back and watch the film that started them all with a franchise like ‘Superman.’ The Man of Steel has been going strong for over 70 years with a bunch of film versions. This is one of the best. (Superman II is also available)
2) No Escape – This is a pretty cool sci-fi/action film starring Ray Liotta and Lance Henriksen. The basic plot follows a military man who is sent to prison for killing his commander. He is then sent to a penal colony that is more like a walled in bad guy village. As with any isolated society the group divides into factions and you must pick a side to survive. But, he’s not planning on staying too long. The movie has a pretty cool story and was made back when original ideas actually got made into films. So, reminisce about those days with this overlooked gem.
3) Spaceballs – Do you guys remember the days when spoof comedies were actually funny? I sure do and the man behind a number of them was Mel Brooks. That dude knew how to write and direct funny. Spaceballs is his spoof of Star Wars and sci-fi films in general. It is hilarious. It’s a classic…just watch it, you can trust me.
4) Analyze This / Analyze That – Here’s a fun comedy and its sequel starring Billy Crystal and Robert De Niro. De Niro plays a wise guy who is really stressed out. He decides to see a shrink, Crystal. But, being the tough guy he is he can’t let it get out that he’s getting help. Well, one thing leads to another and the shrink is going all over town to ‘sit downs’ and ‘jobs’ and things like that pretending to be part of the crew. These are pretty smart stories with a duo that really pulls off a great dynamic. Lots of laughs with these.
5) The Bodyguard – Once again fellas, I’m sorry. But, to be fair I have to try to suggest films from the whole spectrum of movies (that reminds me, been a couple of weeks since I put up a horror…next week, for sure). And come on, when that slow motion hits and Whitney’s blaring through the speakers with, “And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiieiiiiiiiiiiieiiiiiii will always love youuuuoooouuu…” I dare you not to shed a tear…I dare you! Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner star in this interesting love story as a former government agent is pretty much forced to take a bodyguarding assignment as a pop star is being threatened by a crazed fan. One thing leads to another and many eyes will get watery.
6) ‘Saturday Night Live’ – I’m pretty sure there’s never been a television show responsible for the start of more acting careers than ‘SNL.’ Some of the all-time great comedians got their start on the show including Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Chris Farley, Jane Curtain and so many more. I’m not sure if they have all the episodes up or not but they break them down by decade and have the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s available now. I just started at the beginning myself and can I just say the world lost one heck of a comedian when John Belushi died. That man was hilarious!
Well, I think that’s enough for this issue. Let the world now what you think of these films and shows. Did you check them out on Netflix?