Recently the question being tossed around the Necessary Roughness Facebook page has been, “who is causing more stress in Dr. Dani’s (Callie Thorne) life, T.K. or her kids?” Wednesday’s (July 27, 2011) episode, Poker Face, gave us plenty of opportunities to ponder that question.
Before we hit tonight’s high five, here’s a quick rundown of tonight’s episode: Requisite new client and handy-dandy inspiration for the week’s episode title is poker player, Jason Coogan. On a serious losing streak, he’s hoping that Dr. Dani can help him figure out his tell or whatever his issue is. A publicist (Andrea Anders) for the Hawks is in town and her past relationship with Matt (Marc Blucas) doesn’t leave Dr. Dani with any overly fond feelings. T.K. is placed on house arrest and temporarily loses his place as the “face of the team,” as a result. And Nico (Scott Cohen) is a great guy to have around when you’re being threatened by mobsters and otherwise thug-y type characters.
Necessary Roughness – Poker Face – High Five:
1. Dr. Dani’s defense when Nico calls her tell – Upon seeing the visiting publicist, Laura Radcliffe, with Matt for the first time Nico wonders what exactly Dr. Dani doesn’t like about the blonde because the squint she rocks when she’s mad speaks volumes. “What, no! You’re squinting!” Solid comeback Dr. Dani, solid comeback.
2. Making breakfast for mom doesn’t come without strings attached – Lindsay makes a cheery breakfast for mom in hopes of snagging herself the pair jeans, which had Dani reminding her that she gets an allowance – you want ‘em, save your money. Go mom. Except…
3. What’s a little selling of T.K. merchandise among friends? Lindsay learns that Ray Jay has been selling signed T.K. merchandise to bring in some extra money. She blackmails him into letting her in on the score. Brilliant peanuts that they are, they get busted by stadium security selling their goods before a Hawks game. Good for another solid Nico moment, though.
4. Favorite quote of the night – “This team’s psyche is more fragile than my grandmother’s hip joint.” –Coach reacting to T.K.’s latest shenanigans that land him on house arrest.
5. The night’s diagnosis – It turns out that poker player extraordinaire, Jason Coogan didn’t have a tell that was giving him away, rather his diagnosis of (and perhaps the best diagnosis of the season) Pseudologia Fantastica – or a pathological liar – is creating issues. Maybe we’ll be seeing him again as this will require ongoing work, but it seems that T.K. is our only returning patient thus far.
Beyond our high five we got this little parenting gem from Dr. Dani: “Sometimes parents need to know when to hold them and when to fold them. And sometimes kids need to win.” This was in response to Nico wondering why Dani didn’t call Ray Jay out when he told her no one else was involved with his little business venture.
In Poker Face, the stress-card goes to the kids. Sure T.K. got placed on house arrest, but he made decent progress in his sessions with Dr. Dani, he didn’t lose his temper, and he didn’t totally cross boundaries with the kids. T.K. was practically a stress-free zone this week compared to the kids.
You can catch Necessary Roughness Wednesdays on the USA Network at 10:00 p.m. / 9:00 c.
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom moments or lessons, hit the subscribe button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter @TVMoms101, and GoogleBuzz.