If you’re in the mood for a sweet treat to eat, go grab your fork! July 12 is National Pecan Pie Day! Why not celebrate the annual “holiday” with a sweet slice of mouth-watering pecan pie and a heapin’ helping of cold and creamy ice cream? While pecan pie is a favorite in the south and during the holiday season, the delicious dessert is perfect any time of the year.
All About Pecans
Did you know there are more than 1,000 different varieties of pecans? These crunchy bite-sized nuts have been around since at least the 16th century. Loaded with zinc, the pecan is the only “major” nut tree that naturally grows in North America. With more than 600,000 pecan trees, Albany, Georgia, is touted as the pecan capital of the United States. And speaking of pecans, did you know April 14 is National Pecan Day?
In honor of National Pecan Pie Day, why not indulge in a little pecan pie goodness with the recipes listed below?
Pecan Pie Recipes for National Pecan Pie Day
- Pecan Pie Recipe – The Food Network kitchens share this top-rated Pecan Pie recipe that includes a homemade crust, toasted pecans and a dab of bourbon in the filling.
- Pecan Pie Recipe – The delightful Rachael Ray shares her delicious Pecan Pie recipe with you. You’ll need flour, oil, milk, unsalted butter, dark corn syrup, eggs, pure vanilla extract, pecans and heavy cream.
- Sweet Potato Pecan Pie – Emeril Lagasse tells you how it’s done with the delish dish with a twist.
- Chocolate Pecan Pie with Semisweet Chocolate and Jack Ice Cream – ‘Nuff said!
- Southern Pecan Pie Recipe – This recipe, from Better Homes and Gardens, calls for eggs, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, pecans, whipped cream, sugar, shortening and bourbon whiskey.
- Kentucky Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe – You’ve got your pecans and you’ve got your chocolate. Now kick it up a notch with a bit of Kentucky Bourbon and you’ve got yourself a pie!
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Pecan Crumble Cocktails – This tart and sweet recipe, from Chef Emily Barth Webber, screams summer! Strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, lemon, pecans, rolled oats, light brown sugar and spices will be mixed together, baked and layered in cocktail glasses!
- The Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe – This recipe calls homemade crust, caramels, milk, pecans, semi-sweet chocolate, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pecan Pie Bars – Candi shows you how to whip up these tasty treats, step-by-step.
- Gooey Pecan Pie Bars – This recipe calls for light-colored corn syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, flour, granulated and brown sugar and pecans.
- White Chocolate Pecan Pie – This recipe calls for a pre-baked pie shell, pecans, white chocolate, dark brown sugar, Karo syrup, butter and vanilla extract.
- Pecan Torte with Chocolate Glaze – Marcia Adams shares this delicious recipe that includes a home-made torte, filling and frosting.
Pecan Pie Inspired Cocktails
- Pecan Pie Martini – Now we’re talking! You’ll need vanilla vodka, Bailey’s Irish Cream, brown sugar simple syrup, pineapple juice and pecans. Shake and serve straight up!
- Pecan Pie Martini – Check out Rachael Ray’s version of the Pecan Pie Martini. The recipe calls for dark corn syrup, brown sugar, toasted pecans, vodka and vanilla. Be sure to check out the comments for substitute ideas.
- Pecan Ratafia – While this isn’t technically pecan pie, this cocktail with toasted pecans, vodka, white wine and vanilla beans, sounds divine.
- Butter Pecan Cocktails – This drink calls for hazelnut liqueur, vanilla ice cream and pecans. Pour into a double-cocktail glass, add the ice cream, chopped nuts and voila!
Enjoy! Today is also Different Colored Eyes Day.