This is the only way to eat a hot dog!
For everything you need to make these festive dogs, shop your local Meijer.
- 4 all beef hot dogs
- 4 homemade poppy seed buns (recipe follows)
- regular yellow mustard
- onion, chopped
- Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- pickled jalapeno pepper slices
- dill pickle spears
- celery seed
- Steam dogs for about 5 minutes. Load up your dog with your favorite toppings.
Poppy Seed Buns
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 3-4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 t yeast
- oil or melted butter
- couple pinches poppy seeds
- Place ingredients (except oil and poppy seeds) in bread machine in order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select dough cycle and start. Remove from bread machine and turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into a long cylinder and cut into about 6 pieces. Shape each into a smaller cyclinder.
- Brush tops with oil or butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Press lightly.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour or til doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place buns on a baking pan or pizza stone and place in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 375°.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or til golden.
- Cool completely; slice lengthwise, but not all they way through.
I have seen numerous variations on these: some recipes call for relish (yuck!) and some for “sport” peppers which I have never seen around here. We like jalapenos better anyway.