Today is National Hot Dog Day! The annual event is part of July’s National Hot Dog Month. What could be better during the dog days of summer than munching on your all-time favorite dog? Whether you boil ‘em, bake ‘em or grill ‘em, eat them plain or slathered with toppings, Americans love their hot dogs. According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, Americans spent over $1.6 billion on hot dogs in 2010! And the folks in Los Angeles consume more dogs than any other city in America.
One of the most popular social events in Washington D.C. takes place on Capitol Hill to celebrate National Hot Dog Day. More than 1,000 lawmakers, officials and staff attend the Annual Hot Dog Lunch sponsored by the American Meat Institute. National Hot Dog Day sure sounds like a “wiener” to me!
While many people do enjoy munching on this favorite food, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) encourage people to celebrate the event by eating veggie dogs instead of the real deal.
National Hot Dog Day 2011 Deals & Events
- Chef Scott Schroeder will be serving up free hot dogs on the Scott Dogs Hot Dog Cart from 1 to 6:00 P.M. outside Silicon Fine Art Gallery in Philadelphia today. In order to get a free dog, you will need to donate new or gently worn clothing or products for children which will be donated to the Cradles to Crayons organization.
- The Great Hot Dog Cook-Off and Beer Tasting Event will take place at the Hank Aaron Stadium from 1- 6:00 P.M. on Saturday. Adult tickets are $20 and children are $10.
- Get a hot dog for a buck at the Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation McDowell Nature Center in North Carolina on July 23rd from 12:30 to 1:30.
- The St. Paul Saints will be giving away free commemorative Tweeting Wiener Boxer Shorts with the image of a blue bird snapping a picture of a wiener to the first 1,501 fans over 18 today!
- California’s River Rock Casino in Geyserville, will be serving up hot dogs with a side of crispy French fries for $2 from 11-5:00 P.M. today.
- The Holiday Inn Resort in Pensacola Beach will be holding a Free Family Pool Party on Sunday, July 24th, from 3-8:00 P.M. There will be live music and dancing, great games and prizes too. Be sure to check out the Gourmet Hot Dog Picnic Buffet for $12 too.
16 Delicious Hot Dog Recipes
- Classic Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for ground beef, onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, 8 buns and 8 beef hot dogs in natural casings.
- The New York Hot Dog – New York is famous for its dogs! Check out this fab recipe that includes a Sabrett-style Onion Sauce Recipe too.
- The Classic Chicago Hot Dog Recipe – Chicago also is well-known for its dogs.
Chicago-Style Hot Dog Recipe – This top-rated recipe calls for all-beef dogs, poppyseed buns, yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomatoes, dill pickles, peppers and seasoning.
Kansas City Dogs – This recipe calls for beef hot dogs, refrigerated original barbecue sauce with shredded pork, pickles, green onions and buns.
Maui Dogs – Pineapple salsa and hoagie buns give this recipe a tropical twist.
- Hot Dog Casserole Recipe – Who says you have to eat a hot dog in a bun? Betty Crocker shares this doggy-licious dish that calls for Potato Buds mashed potatoes, 6 hot dogs, milk, mayo or salad dressing, minced onion butter and yellow mustard.
- Grilled Link Hot Dogs with Homemade Pickle Relish – Food Network’s Bobby Flay shares this dish with you.
All-Star Chili Dogs – You’ll need ground beef, onion, tomato sauce, hot pepper sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, 8 dogs, 8 buns, Cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
Crunchy Nacho Dogs – Add some spice to your life with this dish by Betty Crocker. You’ll need crescent dinner rolls or a can of Pillsbury seamless dough sheet, American cheese, 4 hot dogs, milk and crushed nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips. Mmmmm..
Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket – This recipe calls for an egg, Cheddar cheese, frozen puff pastry and package of hot dogs with cheese. A spicy mustard dip recipe is also included.
Smokey Pigs in a Blanket with Honey Mustard Dip – Here’s another great recipe for pigs-in-a-blanket. You’ll need cocktail-sized smoked sausage links, crescent dinner rolls and honey mustard dip (recipe included.)
Hot Dogs ‘n Crescents – You’ll need original Bisquick mix for this dish.
Twisted Pizza Dogs – This is a “twist” on pigs in a blanket.
Sloppy Hot Dogs Recipe – Sloppy Joes, hot-dog style!
- Grilled Hot Dog and Fruit Kabobs –You’ll need a package of hot dogs, sweet honey mustard, pear, apple and pineapple chunks. Don’t forget the skewers!
Hot Diggy Dog Fun
- Hot Dog Photo Contest Winners – Check out the winners in this first-ever photo contest.
- Free Hot Dog Placemats – Download and print these four placemats for your next picnic or back yard bbq.
- Hot Dog Etiquette – That’s right. There seems to be a proper and improper way to eat a hot dog!
- Send a free Hot Dog Day card to friends and loved ones in honor of this delicious holiday!
Happy National Hot Dog Day!