A few weeks back, I held an interview with Taylor Mallory (which you can read by clicking here) in which he stated he’d be on a mixtape album along with the rest of his labelmates from Level Next Music. Well, the album has arrived (you can listen to and download it here), and while listening through I took the time to write this track-by-track review of it. Enjoy!
1. All of the Lights: Jami Singer sings over the original and it feels like another addition to the already bursting-at-the-seams talent in the song. Just when you thought it couldn’t get better, her beautiful vocals only add to it!
2. Famous: With oceanic flow and an extremely catchy hook, ENDISKIZE absolutely owns this track from start to finish. The radio needs more rap like this!
3. Hustle Hard: ENDISKIZE comes down hard on this track, switching the focus from flow to intensity. The effect just goes to show their versatility, and leaves you wanting more.
4. Love’s Been Good to Us: This song fits Taylor Mallory like a glove, showing off nearly the entire spectrum of what his voice can do—from hitting those high notes, to keeping it low. Fantastic.
5. Look At Me Now/Rampage Jackson: Here, Paris Embry steps up to Chris Brown and Lil Wayne…and thoroughly wipes the floor with them, and even steps into Busta’s territory near the end and more than holds his own. Watch out, hip-hop!
6. Lover: Here ENDISKIZE goes on to show that they can sing as well as rap, guaranteeing no shortage of either…a truly multi-talented group!
7. Tell Me: Willow Wells uses her well-crafted voice and, with the help of Taylor and Paris, shatters this calming tune, making you want to drift off into their world.
8. All Over the World: On this track, Taylor shifts gears from his past few songs and gives into an addicting electro-rock beat, and shows that just as well as he can sing, he can also get a song seriously stuck in your head.
9. Rolling in the Deep: Adele’s already captivating #1 single is made only more alluring with the addition of ENDISKIZE using her beat and chorus to set up their own magnificent rap.
10. Rock N2 This: Taylor does it again, moving to a whole new style and nailing it, managing to meld his mixture of fantastic vocals to a beat that won’t be leaving your mind any time soon.
11. No Other Woman: In Willow’s solo performance here, her extremely unique voice shines through, almost calling to mind Christina Perry in the sense that she has a very nice, stand-out voice that just intrigues you more.
12. Show Goes On: Not an easy song to carry at all, Taylor glides perfectly through Lupe’s hit, carrying both the chorus and keeping you transfixed with verses that sound somewhere between singing and rapping. A perfect closer.
I tend to be very harsh when it comes to finding new music, weeding out my playlist to only the elite few, so I’m shocked that I’m able to honestly say that the “My Level Is Next” Mixtape Vol. 1 is a masterpiece of a mixtape. There’s nary a song on here I didn’t enjoy, and every single artist manages to bring something new to the table rather than just being ‘good’. ENDISKIZE is a deadly combo of eviscerating rap and vocals; Taylor Mallory has an incredible voice and flexibility; Jami sings beautifully and couldn’t miss a note if she tried; Willow shows that unique can be deadly great; and Paris’ flow is absolutely vicious, holding his own with the best of the best. This mixtape has something for everyone.
The good news is that this is only a precursor to something bigger: Level Next’s compilation album of all original songs. If this was just a taste of what’s to come…then boy, are we in for a treat.
You can check out all of these extremely talented artists at www.levelnextmusic.com, and if you liked this article don’t forget to Like, subscribe, and leave a comment with your thoughts! Oh, and if you want to, you could also follow Max Osman on Twitter.