Alright, Chicagoans, it’s time for the VMA fashion trend rundown. No matter if you watched it, missed it or don’t care about it, the CFTE is here to share the good, the bad and the down right “interesting”. Of course the evenings music was great, but what the CFTE was most interested in was the fashion. Now, we all have our opinion on what’s good fashion, but the evening wasn’t about that. Rather, it seemed to be about keeping your eyes visually stimulated and the starlets did just that with their looks.
Here are the top 5 trends that the CFTE noted at the 2011 VMAs
1. Lace – Little miss Selena Gomez looked all grown up in her fabulous black lace number. Even the infamous Rebecca Black rocked a little lace in her short and boyfriend jacket number. To keep the look funky the girls gave the often times innocent feeling textile some attitude by keeping it black and mixing it with shiny or leather fabrications.
2. Bright Colors – Beyonce, need the CFTE say anymore? She sported a baby bump in a lovely flowy tangerine maxi dress. This color is a great way to transition from summer brights into Fall neutrals. Use this color to pop a basic suit by utilizing it in a blouse or scarf. Here is a fun piece by Anthropologie. Even Justin Bieber rocked the look in bright red pants.
3. Metallics – Victoria Justice looked fabulous in a silver mini dress. She definitely kept all eyes on her with her modern take on the overly done sequined gown. Instead of using your typical flat sequins, the starlet donned some unique oddball shaped beading in shimmery silver shades!
4. Texture – The always lovely Adele highlighted this trend spot on with her beaded neckline on her LBD. She showed off her lovely hourglass shape and proved that you don’t need to be stick thin to look beautiful. Her empire waistline is a great shape for any of your Fashionistas out there who have a little bit more oomph to your shape.
5. Asian Inspired – Love it or hate it, Katy Perry rocked a trend that the CFTE keeps noticing everywhere. It’s definitely one of those trends that is always in rotation. It comes and goes at its own pace. Katy’s style is a lot of look, but you can still get the same effect by incorporating an asian or floral pattern into your wardrobe. Here is a tad more subtle way of sporting the trend through the use of pattern – Anthropologie skirt.
Now, here are few of the more interesting looks of the night.
1. Animal and Cartoon Inspired Looks – the CFTE will give Tyler & Kreayshawn their props for their music. The Youngin’s got talent, but when it comes to their fashion sense, well not so sure what to say about that. Animals and cartoons are not on the top of the list of things to wear on your shirt, but at least they get credit for being fun and creative. You want a look inspired by Minnie? Go pick up a polka dotted bow headband and give it a go.
2. The Jersey Shore Girls – Too short, too tan, too tight, too everything. The cast of the Jersey Shore made their grand entrance in looks that just hurt the eyes. Some love them, some hate them and some just can’t turn away. Remember ladies, if you’re going short try to stay conservative on top and bring the teasing down just a bit so your fans don’t feel like they are going to an 80’s Scorpion’s concert.
3. Goth – The Black Veil Brides were channeling their inner KIIS tonight. What do all of you readers out there think?! Leave your thoughts in the comments below!
4. Rainbow Bright – Woah Nelly! Who let the CFTE’s favorite 80’s cartoon design a clothing line? Deena Cortese, you’re just a little overdone friend. Here, the CFTE presents a case of: too much too handle. Lesson learned tonight: dress for your shape and size. No one likes looking like a sausage squeezed into too small of a casing.
5. The Peplum – Jojo is much too pretty of a girl to be put in the outfit she wore at the VMAs. The peplum look is definitely an interesting trend to try out, but it needs to be paired with something not so flashy – trashy, The cut outs and sleeveless bodice just make the frock feel a little overdone. Here’s an Alice and Olivia dress that brings the tone down just a bit.
Remember to keep up with the CFTE on the Fashion Revolution or on Twitter and on facebook here.
Also, don’t forget you can still vote for the column and blog which were nominated for CBS Chicago’s MVB Awards (make sure to vote for the CFTE here!) Thanks for your continued support readers! It has been much appreciated.