1. Harlan County – The Black Bears are rolling and they don’t look to be stopped anytime soon. They will travel to Gate City, Virginia this weekend to showcase their talent out of state.
2. Bell County – After losing the season opener to Lexington Catholic, the Bobcats found themselves in another close football game. They ended up with the win over a talented Lafayette team and will on to take on their cross-town rival Middlesboro this weekend.
3. Hazard – Coach Dixon’s team showed a lot of promise against Clintwood (VA) last week. They’ll have a week off to prepare for their big game against Somerset.
4. Belfry – The Pirates won big this past weekend and get a chance to move up a spot after the Golden Eagles of Johnson Central were upset over the weekend. Belfry looks to be the strongest 3A team in the mountains even though Breathitt County and Pike Central continue to impress.
5. Knox Central – Knox opened up their season with a win over West Jessamine. Hopefully this silenced the critics who were worried that Knox may have a rough time after losing their high profile coach to Bell County. Some more questions will definitely be answered when Knox heads to Manchester to take on the Commodores of Perry Central.
6. Perry Central – A lot of critics looked at Perry Central’s schedule prior to the season and wondered how they were going to be able to compete at a high level against such strong competition. After back-to-back upset wins the Commodore’s are going to have a shot for a third straight upset against Knox Central on Friday.
7. Johnson Central – The Golden Eagles were left shocked as Perry Central came to Paintsville and left with a win this past weekend. They’ll be playing against the Clay County Tigers this weekend as they look to get back to their winning ways. Expect a big game from JJ Jude as he pursues the state rushing record.
8. Breathitt County – Breathitt County looks to be moving in the right direction this year as they pick up a big twenty-one point victory over Letcher Central. They’ll play in the Honey Bowl this weekend as they try to remain undefeated.
9. Rockcastle – The Rockets are looking as strong as ever this year. They have outscored their opponents 90-8 thus far and have a big game coming up against the Whitley County Colonels. Expect coach Parkey and his team to really make a push this postseason.
10. Pike Central – The Hawks have looked good in this early season and returned so much from last year’s team everyone knew it wouldn’t be long until they made some noise. Their offense, led by QB Alan Boggs, has outscored their first two opponents by 89 points.