Ah, Labor Day! The unofficial end of summer is here already. Don’t fret, though, Kentucky State Parks is offering a plethora of activities and events for the entire family. Get out and grab that last little bit of summer fun.
Although the calendar may indicate the end of summer, the weatherman says Labor Day in Kentucky will be hot! Don’t miss the opportunity to dip into one of the outdoor pools before they close for the season on Monday.
Below is a sampling of the just some of the fun things happening at parks in the Commonwealth Friday, September 2, 2011 through Wednesday, September 7, 2011.
- Barren River Lake State Resort Park will offer a variety of activities for the Labor Day weekend including homemade ice cream, canoeing, arts and crafts, guided hikes, games, and much more. (800) 325-0057
- Carter Caves State Resort Park will host “Cave-In Movie” on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Admission is $4.00 per person; bring your own chairs. (800) 325-0059
- Carter Caves State Resort Park invites local musicians out to “Pickin’ at the Caves” on Monday from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the lodge lobby. (800) 325-0059
- Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park will host the 25th Annual Singing by the Lake on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with gospel groups performing each night at 7:00 p.m. This event is free. (800) 325-2282
- E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park will be the site of the NBL BMX Grand Nationals Friday through Sunday with riders from across the country. All practices and races are open to the public. (502) 429-7270
- Fort Boonesborough State Park will host a Blood Drive in the Recreation Hall of the campgrounds on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All donors will receive a t-shirt and be entered into a drawing for gift certificates from the park and area business. (859) 527-3131
- Greenbo Lake State Resort Park has a full schedule of recreation programs for the weekend including crafts, hayrides, mini-golf, nature programs and more. (800) 325-0083
- General Butler State Resort Park will host Goldenrod Gala on Saturday. This arts and crafts festival will feature traditional handmade items along with an antique tractor and car show, demonstrations, entertainment, and food vendors. (866) 462-8853
- Jenny Wiley State Resort Park is also offering recreation and nature activities along with arts and crafts. In addition, there will be dancing at the “Dance Pad” in the campgrounds on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; Family Fun Bowl on Saturday; and a Pet Show on Sunday. (800) 325-0142
- John James Audubon State Park will host potter and storyteller Albert Bauman on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the campground shelter; children will have the opportunity to create their own clay pot. Also on Sunday visitors will be entertained by naturalist Scott Shupe and his exotic reptiles from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the campground shelter. (270) 826-2247
- Kenlake State Resort Park will be the site of the H&R AGRI-POWER Kenlake Country Concert on Saturday at 6:00 p.m.; general admission is $25.00 and stage seats are $40.00 (800) 325-0143
- Lake Cumberland State Resort Park has a full schedule of programs for Labor Day weekend including “World of Reptiles” presented by Scott Shupe on Saturday at 8:00 p.m. at the campground amphitheater. (800) 325-1709
With 52 state parks within the borders of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, finding a state park nearby is easy. Visit www.parks.ky.gov for a full list of parks or use www.maps.google.com for detailed driving directions.