During the study of the Book of Revelation at The Way of Life Bible Institute in Richmond, Virginia students compiled a list of ways to know when you have lost your first love.
Jesus said this to the church at Ephesus because they started out with zeal but had become slack in their commitment to Him.
Nevertheless, I have this against you, that you have left your first love. (Revelation 2:4)
You have lost your first love . . .
- When you place somebody else before God.
- When you no longer long for fellowship with God.
- When Christ is no longer the center of your thoughts.
- When you don’t walk in the path of righteousness.
- When you don’t willingly and cheerfully give to the work of God.
- When you cease to treat everybody the way you want God to treat you.
- When you don’t read and study the Bible on a daily basis.
- When you value the world’s opinion rather than God’s commandments.
- When you don’t evangelize.
- When you don’t testify of the goodness of God.
- When you offend your brothers and sisters in Christ.
- When you become complacent with wrong doings.
- When you sugar coat the gospel.
- When you don’t stand up for what you believe about God and things relating to God.
- When sinning becomes automatic for you and it doesn’t even prick your heart.
- When you no longer believe in God’s amazing grace.
- When you get bored listening to sermons and Christian music.
- When you seek what the world is seeking.
- When you no longer pray.
- When you yield to temptations.
- When things of God are no longer sacred.
- When you idolize people and things instead of God.
- When you no longer tithe.
- When you gossip about your pastors, your church, and other Christians.
- When you ignore or mock God and God’s people.
These are just some of the things you will notice when you have lost your first love . . . Jesus Christ!