While July’s National Daiquiri Day, National Fortune Cookie Day, National Junk Food Day, National Hot Dog Day have all come and gone, today is all about tequila! July 24th is National Tequila Day! While the origins of this annual “holiday” are unknown, one thing is for certain – Americans love their tequila!
Produced from the juices of Mexico’s blue agave plant, tequila is North America’s “oldest distilled spirit.” While tequila must be fermented and distilled with at least 51 percent of the agave juice, the best tequilas are produced with 100 percent blue agave.
Whether you prefer yours Margarita-style, in a Tequila Sunrise or straight, or frozen or chilled, enjoy a tasty tequila cocktail today with the 27 recipe ideas listed below.
The margarita, invented by American socialite Margaret “Margarita” Sames, is the most popular cocktail in the United States. According to distributor Brown Foreman, Americans consumed over 185,000 margaritas per hour in 2008!
The inventor of the frozen margarita machine, Mariano “Margarita Man,” Martinez, came up with the idea when he was 26 and the rest, as they say, is history. The machine is in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
Refreshing Margarita Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Marg-alrightas – This cocktail recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for strawberries, limes, sugar, orange juice, tequila, ice and coarse salt.
- Margarita Recipe – Food Network’s Alton Brown shares his recipe that calls for 100 percent agave silver/blanco tequila, limes, orange, light agave nectar, salt and ice cubes.
- Frozen Margarita Recipe – You’ll need tequila, cointreau, lime juice and crushed ice for this frozen cocktail.
- Hungry Girls Magical Low-Calorie Margarita – This low-cal recipe uses sugar-free lemonade powdered drink mix, diet lemon-lime soda, tequila, lime juice, and crushed ice.
- Margarita Jello Shots – This recipe will be a big hit at your backyard bash!
- Margarita Slushes – Rachael Ray shares this refreshing Margarita Slush recipe that calls for lemon sorbet, lime sherbet, tequila, triple sec or orange liqueur, lime juice and limes. You’ll need a blender for this drink too.
- The BEST Raspberry Margarita – You’ll need sweet-and-sour cocktail mix, premium tequila, cointreau, raspberry liqueur, ice, salt and lime.
- Banana Strawberry Margarita – Ingredients include fresh strawberries, banana, silver tequila, triple sec, lime juice, ice and salt.
- Frozen Pomegranate Margaritas – Bobby Flay does it again with this fabulous drink! You’ll need tequila, orange liqueur, pomegranate juice, lime juice, ice cubes and salt. Don’t forget the blender!
- Beer Margarita – This margarita recipe calls for frozen limeade concentrate, tequila, lime and a can of beer.
- Emeril’s Fresh and Fierce Margaritas – The name says it all! You’ll need lime, lemon and pineapple juices, lime and lemon zest, sugar, ice, coarse salt, 100 percent agave tequila, orange-flavored liqueur such as triple sec or Grand Marnier.
- Chocolate Margarita Recipe – Chocolate in a glass. ‘Nuff said!
- Red Chile-Guava Margarita Recipe – Tropical yet spicy, this cocktail was created by New York City’s Public. You’ll need Chile-Infused Tequila, Triple Sec, guava nectar, orange and lime juice, salt and red chiles.
- Cranberry Margarita Recipe – Watch how to whip up this tart cocktail that calls for gold tequila, lime juice, triple sec, sweet and sour mix and cranberry juice.
- Coconut Margaritas – This tropical recipe sounds delish! You’ll need coconut cream, triple sec, flaked coconut, ice and tequila.
- Frozen Margarita Pops – This cool recipe is too fun and is perfect for those summer family get-togethers! You’ll need just a few simple ingredients – tequila, lime all-fruit frozen pops and salt.
Delicious Tequila Cocktail Recipes
- Mexican Sexy Lemonade Recipe – You’ll need gold tequila, triple sex, 7-Up, sweet and sour mix, sugar and lemon for this lemony drink.
- Tequila Cocktails – Bobby Flay shares his recipe that calls for white tequila, pineapple juice, lemon-lime soda, fresh pineapple and mint and crushed ice.
- Paloma – This refreshing drink is light and fruity. You’ll need grapefruit soda, lime juice, salt, ice and blanco or reposado tequila.
- Paloma Recipe – Here’s another Paloma recipe.
- Copa Verde Recipe – This light green cocktail calls for silver tequila, lime juice, agave nectar, salt, ice and avocado.
- Sammy Hagar’s Waborita Recipe – Rocker Sammy Hagar shares this Waborita recipe that calls for Cabo Wabo tequila, fresh lime juice, Cointreau and a splash of Grand Marnier.
- Extra-Spicy Bloody Maria Recipe – Add some spice to your life with this cocktail that calls for Chile-Infused Tequila, tomato juice, grated horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, jalapeno juice, lemon juice, ice and seasonings.
- Tex-Mex Sparkler – This refreshing drink calls for Blanco Tequila, champagne, fresh strawberries and simple syrup.
- Tequila Shot – All you need is a good tequila, a lime or lemon wedge and a pinch of salt.
- Mexican Martini – You’ll need premium tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, sugar, ice and jalapeno-stuffed green olives.
- Flying Squirrel – This recipe calls for tequila, orange liqueur, sweet and sour mix, lime and orange juice.
As always, please drink responsibly. Happy National Tequila Day! Cheers!