Today is a great day to go bananas. Aug. 25 is National Banana Split Day! This creamy dessert or snack has been eaten by young and old alike since the turn of the century. After all, who can resist bananas surrounded by scoops of creamy vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream topped with nuts, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry served in a long dish?
While the origins of this holiday are unknown, David Evans Strickler, an apprentice pharmacist, is credited as the “inventor” of these fabulous desserts when he created them at the Tassel Pharmacy in Pennsylvania in 1904.
In honor of National Banana Split Day, why not whip up one or two of the fabulous recipes listed below?
10 Delicious Banana Split Recipes
- Banana Split Recipe – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for 2 bananas, vanilla ice cream, blackberries and raspberries, chocolate sauce and peanuts.
- Traditional Banana Split Recipe – You’ll need vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream, 1 banana, chocolate syrup, crushed pineapple, walnut ice cream topping, whipped cream and a cherry for this recipe.
- All American Banana Split Recipe – Perfect!
- New Orleans Banana Split – This amazing recipe calls for bananas, whipping cream, toasted pecans, flaked coconut, chocolate syrup, vanilla and chocolate ice cream, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, dark brown sugar and a splash of dark rum. Yum!
- Banana Split in a Cone – You’ll need waffle cones, bananas, different flavored ice cream, whipped cream, pistachio nuts and a maraschino cherry for this banana splity recipe.
- Banana Split Cheesecake Squares Recipe – If you love cheesecake, and who doesn’t, now you can have your cake and eat it too!
- Banana Split Bars – You’ll need graham cracker crumbs, white sugar, butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, crushed pineapple, whipped topping, walnuts, cherries and bananas for this one.
Banana Split Cocktail Recipes
- Banana Split Shot – Go ahead – try this cocktail on for size!
- Banana Split Drink – This cocktail recipe calls for dark rum, Bailey’s Irish Cream, vanilla ice cream, nutmeg, ground or powdered hot chocolate mix, a cherry and whipped cream.
- Banana Split Cocktail – You’ll need banana liqueur, coffee liqueur, pineapple juice, half and half and cherries for this drink.
Enjoy! Today is also Kiss and Make Up Day and National Whiskey Sour Day!