On the heels of National Banana Split Day, August 27 is Banana Lover’s Day! Native to Malaysia, people have been enjoying bananas for centuries. Globally, more than 100 billion bananas are consumed each year. Americans eat more bananas than any other fruit – consuming close to 30 pounds of bananas annually. Did you know bananas do not grow on trees? They are actually the world’s largest perennial herb and can grow up to 25 feet tall. A cluster of bananas is called a “hand” consisting of 10 to 20 bananas, or “fingers. “
The Many Health Benefits of Bananas
High in fiber and potassium, bananas not only taste good, but are good for you. Bananas contain 15 percent of your daily recommended requirement of Vitamin C and are high in B6 and manganese too. At about 100 calories each, bananas have no fat and no cholesterol. Besides helping prevent bone loss and alleviating high blood pressure, bananas also help with heartburn, morning sickness, ulcers, menstrual cramps and anemia. They have also been shown to help protect against kidney cancer.
- Banana Pancakes Recipe – You’ll need eggs, flour, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and a banana for these pancakes.
- 9 Spice Rum Banana Stuffed French Toast with Mango Maple Syrup – Wow! This recipe calls for eggs, 2 % milk, bread, cinnamon, nutmeg, banana, sugar, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, maple peanut butter, 9 Spice Cruzan rum, fresh mango, maple syrup and confections sugar.
- Blizzard’s Chocolate Chip/Banana Muffins – These homemade muffins call for flour, baking soda and powder, salt, sugar, milk, sour cream, eggs, unsalted butter, chocolate chips, bananas and vanilla extract.
- Easy Bananas Foster Cheesecake Recipe – Top pre-made cheesecake with bananas, butter, light brown sugar, lemon juice, rum and banana extract and cinnamon.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe – Called the “best” banana bread around, this recipe’s main ingredients include yogurt or sour cream, honey, chocolate chips and bananas.
- Banana Nut Pound Cake Pudding – This recipe, from Sara Lee, calls for frozen pound cake, eggs, half & half, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, pecans, bananas and whipped topping.
- Banana Nut Coffee Cake – Perfect for breakfast or any time of the day, this coffee cake recipe is best when it’s served nice and warm.
- Banana Bread Recipe – You’ll need sugar, shortening, eggs, flour, walnuts, baking soda and ripe bananas for this one.
- Chocolate Banana Bread – Besides a bread machine, you’ll need bananas, butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, bread flour, yeast, walnuts and unsweetened cocoa.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies – This recipe makes about 30 cookies.
- Bananas Foster Recipe – You’ll need butter, brown sugar, bananas, dark rum and ice cream for this smokin’ recipe!
- Banana Frozen Yogurt From Scratch Recipe – You’ll need 2 percent milk, non-fat plain yogurt, bananas, pure vanilla extract and sugar. You’ll also need an ice cream maker.
- Banana Ice Cream – This simple and healthy recipe, from Dr. Oz, calls for just 2 ingredients – bananas and vanilla extract!
- Banana Pizza – You’ll need frozen dinner rolls, brown sugar, butter, pecans, banana cream pudding, bananas and whipped topping for this recipe.
- Chocolate Banana Cake – Fair warning – this recipe looks divine!
- Quick Strawberry Banana Smoothie – You’ll need frozen bananas, strawberries, orange juice and low-fat vanilla yogurt for this delicious drink.
- Orange Banana Smoothie Recipe – Food Network’s Ina Garten, shares her delicious smoothie recipe with you. You’ll need freshly squeezed orange and lime juice, fresh strawberries and a banana.
- 10 Banana Split Recipes – In the mood for a banana split, you’re in luck!
- After Sex – No matter when or where you drink it, this recipe calls for vodka, crème de bananes and orange juice.
- Banana Liqueur – You’ll need simple syrup, vodka, vanilla extract and bananas.
- Bailey’s Banana Colada – You’ll need one banana, banana liqueur, Bailey’s Irish Cream, pina colada mix and dark rum for this one.
- Coco Loco Recipe – This cocktail recipe calls for both dark and light rum, vodka, crème de bananes, pineapple juice, coconut cream and sugar syrup.
- Alien Urine Sample – Looking for something out of this world? ‘Nuff said!
- Bahama Mama NC – You’ll need light rum, banana liqueur, Malibu Coconut rum, pineapple and orange juice and grenadine syrup for this tropical cocktail.
- Funky Monkey – You’ll need coconut milk, bananas, cream de bananes, Mount Gay Barbados rum and coconut flakes.