If you have a home TV cable connection with any of the following participating providers: Verizon, Cox, Comcast, DIRECTV, AT&TU-verse TV, Dish, or Suddenlink, you can stream live news via CNN to your iPad (3G).
This app might come in handy during times when your electrical power fails, during times when there are dangerous storms or situations, and you need to have access to current news.
Fearing loss of power and coverage, I downloaded the free CNN app and its update through Apple’s App Store.
I did check out other news apps available through Apple’s App Store, but couldn’t get direct live news streaming. I could only get previously recorded videos.
To download and stream live news from CNN to your iPad:
1. after downloading the CNN app from Apple’s App Store, click the app icon on your iPad desktop.
2. tap the CNN TV LIVE box in the upper right corner of your iPad screen
3. choose which program you would like to watch by tapping “Unlock and Watch” – NOTE: NEWSROOM and NEWSHOW are locked as they are connected to your home cable provider
4. you will be directed to a screen that shows the participating providers mentioned above – tap the icon for your TV provider and enter your e-mail address and password
5. CNN live news should begin streaming to your iPad
6. I have encountered interruptions while using this app; when this happens, try tapping the “back” icon in the upper right corner of the screen – tap CNN Live again and the program you are watching; this should reboot the streaming
7. if you get a message box that says that streaming isn’t available, and you have lost your connection, try shutting down and restarting your iPad; log in again, and streaming should resume – NOTE: if your provider loses its signal, CNN Live might also become unavailable for your iPad
8. NOTE: At one point, I also had to create an account with CNN to reboot live streaming
This app does not get the highest of ratings, because not all TV providers participate. For those who do have providers that offer this service, you might want to try it. As I mentioned, it’s not perfect – and streaming does get interrupted and become unavailable (but you can usually re-establish a connection using the suggestions mentioned)
In addition to Live Feed, there are also other taped broadcasts that you can watch, so check out the entire site when you get the chance.
If you have any additional questions regarding this topic, are still covered under your 60 day free tech support, or have purchased “Apple Care” for the iPad, you can call “Apple” Tech Support for at: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) or 1-800-692-7753.
iPad 2 can be purchased locally at the Apple Store – Westfarms Mall, Farmington, CT and Best Buy in West Hartford and Enfield. Call ahead for availability.
For information regarding HBO streaming to your iPad (for HBO subscribers and certain and TV providers, click the following link: http://joltleft.com/ipad-in-hartford/ipad-hbo-streaming-available-for-current-hbo-subscribers