The stunning news Saturday morning of the death of Amy Winehouse at age 27 makes her the latest addition to a macabre group called the 27 Club — musicians who have died at that young age.
Winehouse joins bluesman Robert Johnson (“Love in Vain”), Alan “Blind Owl” Wilson (Canned Heat), Ron “Pigpen” McKernan (Grateful Dead), Les Harvey (Stone the Crows), Roger Lee Durham (Bloodstone), Dave Alexander (the Stooges), Chris Bell (Big Star), Pete Ham (Badfinger) and Gary Thain (Uriah Heep) as just some of those in that select group.
Reacting to her death, Neil Portnow, president and CEO of the Recording Academy, said in a statement, “Five-time GRAMMY® winner Amy Winehouse was a dynamic performer and musician who seamlessly blended rock, jazz, pop, and soul and created a sound all her own. Her rich, soulful and unique voice reflected her honest songwriting and earned her a devoted fan following, critical acclaim, and the genuine respect and admiration of her musical peers. She will forever be remembered for her immense talent, and her music will live on for generations to come. Our deepest sympathies go out to her family, friends, and fans during this difficult time.”
© COPYRIGHT STATEMENT: This article is the original work of Stan. Under no circumstance may any portion of this article be broadcast, copied, published, rewritten or used without the permission of the author. Please feel free to link to this article, however. To purchase this or any other article by Stan, please email [email protected]
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on joltleft.com.
- If you love the Beatles and want to keep up with what’s really happening with them, be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page. (And don’t miss our Paul McCartney Examiner column at http://joltleft.com/paul-mccartney-in-national/steve-marinucci.)
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at [email protected]
- See all the Beatles Examiner columns: http://joltleft.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re now on Google+! Join us!
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525 or our new Paul McCartney Examiner page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-McCartney-Examiner/185104808204671 on Facebook.
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!