This following article is a review of the play/program, I’m Walking, written by Annie Hardison and produced by Ulisha Blakesleay. It was successfully carried out by the Education Committee of the NAACP and the Boys and Girls Club of Maury County Drama Team this past weekend. Many of the young people are from Columbia, TN and did a wonderful job bringing attention to childhood obesity and school bullying. The evening had many elements to include:
- The Lord’s Prayer was sung eloquently.
- A welcome was given by local NAACP President, Larry Patton.
- The play had many scenes:
- A character named, Fred, is bullied because of weight.
- Cheerleaders were bullying another young lady.
- Michele Obama (Jadonna Seacrest as actress) visits the school.
- Fred commits suicide because of his weight and being bullied.
- A performance was given by Friendship Missionary Baptist Church Dancers.
- Lastly a funeral procession for the young man based on the painting, Funeral Procession by Ellis Wilson that was featured on The Cosby Show.
The play was excellent in highlighting the issues of childhood obesity and school bullying. Recent research suggests that suicide and gang involvement are direct consequences of bullying. Intervention from responsible and caring adults is essential to address both issues. The play would be even more effective by adding scenes of ways that the community could engage children and youth in overcoming these areas.
The involvement of the youth brought this scripture to mind, “…And a little child will lead them.” (Isaiah 11:6) God is no respecter of persons. He has chosen to use youth in the past and will not hesitate to use them again to bring about community awareness and change. He utilized a couple of young men named Josiah and Jeremiah and ushered one into kingship and the other as a prophet (mouthpiece of God). Here is a list of their actions respectively:
King Josiah Prophet Jeremiah
(2 Chronicles 34 and 35) (Book of Jeremiah)
Begin to rule @ age 8 Spoke to nations/kingdoms.
Sought God Uprooted and tore down
Purged Israel of Idols Destroy and overthrow
Repaired Temple Built and planted
Celebrated Sacred Warned others about sin.
feast, Passover Renounced false prophets.
Led Israel for 31 years! Advised kings.
This is what God can and will do through obedient, yielded vessels!
Please find the link to the advertisement of the play below: