Hurricane Irene left behind a wake of destruction in the Richmond area. Down trees damaged home, is blocking roads and has taken out power.
Virginia Dominion Power offers the following information regarding power outages:
If electricity has been interrupted:
- Turn off major appliances such as heat pumps, water heaters and stoves. Unplug other appliances such as TVs, stereos, microwaves and computers. This will prevent damage to appliances and possible overloads to the company’s system when power is restored.
- Post a list of contents on your freezer door to minimize the number of times you open it.
- Leave one lamp or light on so you will be able to recognize when power is restored.
- If using portable or camp-type stoves or lanterns for cooking and lighting, ensure that the area is adequately ventilated.
- Stay away from fallen wires, flooded areas and debris. Treat all fallen wires and anything touching them as though they are energized.
- Follow safe operating procedures for generators. Never operate one inside your home or in an enclosed space, such as a garage.
- Plugging a generator into a regular household outlet can energize “dead” power lines and injure neighbors or utility workers. Customers should connect individual appliances that have their outdoor-rated power cords directly to the receptacle outlet of the generator, or connect these cord-connected appliances to the generator with the appropriate outdoor-rated power cord having a sufficient wire gauge to handle the electrical load.
- Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide and can be deadly, so run your generator outside with proper ventilation. Store the fuel for your generator safely.
- Visually inspect the area around your electricity meter. If you detect or suspect any damage, call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP.
Reporting Power Outages
If you experience an outage, it is important that you report it. We will not know your power is out unless you tell us. Every call to our hotline allows our system to narrow down the precise location of the outage so that we can quickly and safely get our crews to the right sites. Call us toll-free to report outages: 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) Also report hazardous or emergency situations by phone.
Make sure your account information — especially your telephone number — is accurate and up to date. (When you report an outage, we use your phone number to identify your location.) Sign in (or register) to view or update your number, or call us at 1-800-222-0401.
Online: Sign in (or register) to report or inquire about a power outage.
- Please help protect our linemen when you see them on the roadside making emergency repairs. Move over from the lane nearest the workers or slow down until you can safely pass the work site.
- Dominion reminds customers to stay away from downed lines and anything touching them — assume they are energized, and report them by calling 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357).
Did you find this article informative? Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button above.