We hear three voices talking to us at all times: God’s, Satan’s and our own. Many times we don’t recognize the correct voice; so we do not act appropriately. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to know for sure if it’s God’s voice?
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:37)
We can know if we are truly hearing God’s voice if we spend quality time daily in prayer and Bible study. As we spend intimate time with God, the easier it will be to recognize His voice. God speaks to us primarily through the Bible, but we can sometimes also hear His voice in our consciences, through circumstances, and through other people.
We can recognize when it’s Satan voice if we are told to do something that doesn’t line up with the Word of God. Satan will steer us in the wrong direction usually in a quick and easy manner before we have time to think things through. We should rebuke the voice of Satan no matter how appealing the situation sounds.
Our Own Voice
We know it’s our own voice when it is self-gratifying and doesn’t help anyone except ourselves. Our voice says, “I,” “me,” “my,” and “myself.” To test whether it is your voice or not, ask yourself these questions:
1. Will what I am about to do bring glory to God?
2. Will what I am about to do help or hurt others?
3. Will what I am about to do be a good legacy?
Here are ten questions to ask to determine if it is God’s voice, Satan’s voice or your own voice you are hearing.
- Is what you hear CONSISTENT with the word of God? God will NEVER go against His own word.
- Is it in CONFLICT with the world’s standard? What God says is often in conflict with human reasoning.
- Is it CLASHING with your fleshly desires? God will not tell you something for instant gratification of the flesh. God speaks for the building up of the spirit. Satan cares nothing about your spirit.
- Will this CHALLENGE your faith? God is in the faith-challenging business. He is concerned about stretching your faith.
- Does what you hear give you COURAGE to do what is right? Satan gives us easy things to do which involves little or no courage.
- Are you CONCERNED about the feelings of others? When God is speaking, He is going to cause you to think of others. Satan says not to care about the impact your decision has on others.
- Are CONSEQUENCES considered for the future? God speaks with a bigger picture in mind. Satan says do it now, enjoy it now and don’t worry about future consequences.
- Are you seeking COUNSEL from godly people? Evaluate the lifestyle of those who advise you.
- Will this decision CONTRIBUTE to your spiritual growth? God will never tell you to do something that will set you back spiritually.
- Is there a CALMNESS in your spirit when you hear this voice? Is there peace that surpasses all understanding? God is about peace and harmony. Satan is about chaos, division and destruction.
When you love God with your whole heart and have a personal ongoing intimate relationship with Him, then you CAN know when God is speaking to you. These questions will help identify God’s voice. Once you know you are hearing God’s voice, then act accordingly.