Smack dab during the dog days of summer, July 31st has gone to the dogs – literally! Today is Mutt’s Day, an annual holiday dedicated to those lovable mutts without a pedigree. While some folks may prefer pure breeds, mutts make wonderful pets, loyal friends and lifelong companions. Mutts are combinations of various dog breeds – each one is unique. Regardless of size, shape or color, one thing is for sure – Americans love their dogs.
While pets bring so much to our lives, it is critical to remember millions of unwanted dogs and cats are in animal shelters waiting for forever homes. And in this economy, animal shelters are inundated with dogs and cats. Sadly, many of these fabulous creatures die waiting for someone to adopt them. If you have been thinking about adopting a pet, today is the “purrfect” day. Please visit your local animal shelter and help save a life. Time is running out!
- Petfinder – Currently, over 360,000 pets are desperately searching for homes. Can you help?
- Humane Society – The “largest and most effective animal protection organization” in America.
- 10 Ways to Help Animals in Labs – Did you know stolen dogs and cats often end up in research laboratories in America and live a life of extreme suffering?
- Helpful Dog Tips – Learn how to clean a canine’s ears, adoption and training tips and many more helpful tips.
As the country is suffering from extreme heat and drought, high temperatures can also be deadly for dogs and cats. Treat Fido to Peanut Butter Popsicles and help him chill out!
Why not show your pooch some extra love today in honor of Mutt’s Day? Take him for an extra-long walk, give him an extra-special treat or go for a nice ride in the car? In honor of Mutt’s Day, why not make it movie night and watch some classic canine flicks?
10 Fabulous Films About Dogs
- Hachi: A Dog’s Tale – Based on a true story, this amazing “tail” tells the story of an amazing bond between a man and an abandoned dog. Warning – this film, starring Richard Gere and Joan Allen, will tug at your heartstrings.
- Benji – This stray dog saves the day.
- Old Yeller – Fair warning – this 1957 film is a real tear-jerker!
- Beethoven – While not a mutt, this family movie is too fun!
- 101 Dalmatians – Besides 101 dogs, Glenn Close and Jeff Daniels star in this fun romp.
- Air Bud – Watch this amazing Golden Retriever shoot hoops!
- Homeward Bound – This Disney film features three amazing animals – an American bulldog, a Golden Retriever and a Himalayan cat.
- Marley & Me – This true story stars Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. Oh, and Marley.
- Shiloh – A little boy comes to the rescue of this little pooch that is abused by his owner.
- Lassie Come Home – This 1943 film stars Roddy McDowall and of course, Lassie, the beautiful collie.
Happy Mutt’s Day!