Has the stomach flu hit your family yet? What about the latest cold?
Now that school is back in session, the germs are back as well.
Want your student to miss less school? Promote handwashing and make it easy at these key times:
- upon arrival at school
- before lunch
- after using the restroom
- before leaving school for home
Children typically don’t like to take the time to wash their hands, but there are ways you can make it fun using games, songs and teaching them about the germs.
Make it easy for your youngsters to wash their hands, as these simple efforts can help keep the entire family healthy:
- Supervise their handwashing after they use the toilet and before they eat.
- Let them see you wash your hands throughout the day and wash your hands with them.
- Put handwashing reminders at their eye level.
- Every time they wash their hands, reward them until it is a habit.
- Keep a stool by the sink so that they can reach easily.
- Teach them to sing their ABCs or “Happy Birthday” twice so they wash for 15-20 seconds.
For more information on handwashing, visit Columbus Public Health.