Some weeks ago, we broke the story of the Unannounced Halo Anniversary wave hitting San Francisco retailers. As part of that wave, MacFarlane toys released a Red/Blue Recon Spartan as part of the Franchise’s current Red vs. Blue release theme. The Recon Spartans are not a new sculpt by any measure, but this is likely the first chance for many collectors, even long term ones to get their hands on a Recon Spartan, as most of the previous versions were some sort of retailer exclusive (online or otherwise).
- Scale. The Spartan Recon armor permutation is built off of the very successful Spartan mk V body from the Halo 3 line. As such, it will fit in with the earlier Spartans as released in the Halo 3 and earlier waves.
- Finally, a Recon. As mentioned, Recon Spartans are pretty rare in terms of releases. Most of those that have been released were exclusives of some sort. This is likely the best chance for many collectors to get these figs in this scale.
- Behind enemy lines. To fit in with the ‘multiplayer’ theme of many of the recent releases, this Recon is equipped with a Plasma Rifle and Energy Sword Handle. As they are not labelled as such on the packaging, it takes a bit of figuring out what that little grip is.
- Scale. Yes, it can be a downside too. As this is built in the smaller Halo 3 scale, it will not fit in with figures from the Reach waves or later.
- Repaint. Some collectors don’t care, while others will be upset that this is a straight rerelease of an earlier figure.
- No Blade. Yes, the Energy Blade comes solely as a handle. It would have been neat for them to include the blade so you had the option of having the Recon use it, but it is a pretty neat accessory in any event.