Saturday, August 13, 2012, Governor Rick Perry of Texas took center stage in Charleston, S.C. to officially announce he was ready to lead Americans as President of the United States vowing to ‘give a pink slip’ to Obama.
With the earnestness of a country preacher, his voice sometimes dropping to a dramatic whisper, Perry held a group of conservatives hungry for economic security in thrall in their eagerness to support Perry’s quest to do for America what he had done for Texas, create jobs and get Americans back to work.
The most resounding applause,from conservatives with Tea Party enthusiasm, was heard when Rick Perry said, “Page one of any economic plan to get America working is to give a pink slip to the current resident in the White House,” followed by the theme of Perry’s announcement, “It’s time to get Americans working again.”
It’s the desperate concern about the economy and jobs that resonates across the nation; even causing faithful Texas Democrats to say,”Texas will miss Rick Perry but they won’t miss Obama,” amid today’s reports that Obama’s approval rating is for the first time below 40%.
Following are a smattering of the statements Perry focused on jobs in his announcement, bringing the crowd to their feet, with cheers for the Texas governor and chants of, “Perry! Perry! Perry!”. It was a chant that could just as easily have been for “Jobs! Jobs! Jobs”. Jobs that so many feel Perry has proven he can deliver, while Obama has only “shovel-ready” jobs that were not “shovel-ready” to show for his stimulus efforts:
- One in six work-eligible Americans cannot find a full-time job. That is not a recovery. That is an economic disaster.
- Recovery is a meaningless word if the bank has foreclosed on your home, if you’re underwater on your mortgage or you’re up to the max on your credit card debt. Those Americans know that this president and his big spending, big government policies have prolonged our national misery, not alleviated it.
- We reject this president’s unbridled fixation on taking more money out of wallets and pocketbooks of American families and employers and giving it to a central government. Spreading the wealth punishes success while setting America on course for a greater dependency on government.
- Washington’s insatiable desire to spend our children’s inheritance on failed stimulus plans and other misguided economic theories have given record debt and left us with far too many unemployed.
- What makes our nation exceptional is that anyone, from any background, can climb to the highest of heights. As Americans, we don’t see the role of government as guaranteeing outcomes but allowing free men and women to flourish based on their own vision, their hard work and their personal responsibility.
- Mr. President, let us tell you something, you cannot win the future by selling America off to foreign creditors.
- His policies are not only a threat to this economy. So are his appointees a threat. You see, he stacked the National Labor Relations Board with anti-business cronies who want to dictate to a private company, Boeing, where they can build a plant. No president, no president should kill jobs in South Carolina or in any state for that matter simply because they choose to go to a right to work state.
- Since June of 2009, Texas is responsible for more than 40 percent of all the new jobs created in America. Now think about that, we’re home to less than 10 percent of the population in America but 40 percent of all the new jobs were created in that state.
- You see, when the Obama Administration isn’t stifling the economic growth with over-regulation, they’re achieving the same through their reckless spending. Debt is not only a threat to the economy but also to our security.
- We cannot and must not endure four more years of rising unemployment, rising taxes, rising debt, rising energy dependence on nation’s that intend us harm.
- We do not have to accept our current circumstances. We will change them. We are Americans. That’s what we do. We roll up our sleeves. We go to work. We fix things. (Standing ovation)
- It’s time to get America working again.
- In America, the people are not subjects of the government, the government is subject to the people.