Plastered all over television.
Recommended by doctors.
Pushed by nutritionists.
Expensive. Well, not anymore.
Visting the local Giant Eagle has unearthed an unpleasant determination. Gluten free is expensive! Placing some gluten free/organic items in the cart revealed the following:
· Kashi cereal ringing in at a “ouch” price of: $5.99
· Possibly gluten free chips-was pretty small in print: $4.50
· Small organic pint of ice cream: $6.29
· Meatless burgers : $5.99
Final total: $22.77 on 4 items.
Not even a dent into .10 in gas perks! Gluten free had to be cheaper! Dialing a friend, lead to a quick scolding about supporting locally owned stores, like one Nature’s Bin, a locally owned small health foods store in Lakewood. Images of dollar signs racking led to a surprising discovery in this small and friendly store.
· Kashi cereal: $3.99
· A variety of gluten free chips from: 2/$4.00 , $2.19(chosen) and a big bag for about $3.00
· Choice of delicious ice creams. I picked a quart for: $4.99 (quart not pint like at GE)
· Meatless burgers: $4.19
Final total: $15.36
Overall, going three blocks sooner to this fun store showed a savings of: $7.41 certainly, an attribute of a type of fuel perk! Nature’s Bin runs fantastic monthly sales, is a clean store and provides a cheaper alternative to maintaining a healthy, organic and gluten-free lifestyle, locally!