– Goodnight, Irene– Hurricane Irene is expected to wreak havoc up the East Coast, including Massachusetts. Make sure to include your pet bird in your emergency preparations, as this “Huffington Post” arrticle reminds us. Thanks for this tip to Fran Giallorenzi. Hurricane Irene Pet Emergency Planwww.huffingtonpost.com
– PARTY TIME! The big Foster Parrots/New England Wildlife Center benefit happens on Sat. 8/27 including band, dinner and a tour of this very worthy rescue operation with all kinds of parrots and critters galore run by former Rockland, MA resident Marc Johnson.
– Speaking of parties, happy 5th birthday to Connecticut Parrot Society! Special guest avian enrichment authority Robin Shewokis will be on hand to share her expertise and some pizza and birthday cake at the Sept. 1 meeting/party.. CPS members are also encouraged to sign up ASAP for the party bus to Parrot Palooza, the annual October extravaganza held in New Jersey. http://bird-paradise.biz/parrotpalooza.ht
– Remember the Monty Python sketch about the dead parrot – a fictional Norwegian blue? In nearby Denmark’s Isle of Shoals, a 54-million-year-old real-life possible parrot ancestor fossil has been unearthed.and christened the “Danish blue” in honor of the British comedy troupe. This news comes to us through “National Geographic” by way of Connecticut Parrot Society’s “Parrot Papers”.
– Cockatoos acting strangely: Sulfur crested cockatoo makes off with a sunflower head. http://youtu.be/3GcCMhTjThs Next up, Cocoa the cockatoo may be pressing his luck by sitting on Lucky the cat’s head.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yukdsl5O7AI (Cute though the video may be, this column does not recommend mixing birds with cats.) Connecticut Association for Aviculture brings us these videos.
– The battle against bootleg birds continues: > Parrots Confiscated on Bonaire a report from World Parrot Trust‘s “Flock Talk” newsletter.
– Sorry, kids; but it’s fast coming up on back to school time. And pet bird owners might just want to take this course as recommended by Parrot Toy Safari owner Concetta Ferragamo.American Federation of Aviculture Launches Level II Certification Coursewww.petproductnews.com
– Flowers as Food for parrots and other Birds. and Zebra Waxbill Care, Natural History come to us from blogger extraordinaire Frank Indiviglio.
– LOST AND FOUND DEP’T.: .Kidnapped African grey comes home! http://www.santafenewmexican.com/local%20news/Petnapped-parrot-back-with-owner Thanks to Sheldon Orloff. Meanwhile, be on alert in the Preston/Foxwoods Connecticut area for a lost green with yellow head Amazon, Amigo, 27 yrs old, friendly and hates being locked up.Please call Bob with any info at (360) 390 8093.
– Congo African grey visits the groomer, a video clip from Kathy Pierce. Marlow see’s his favirote person, to get his nails trim;}}
–Homeless parrots are a huge problem that don’t get nearly the attention of homeless dogs and cats. http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/why-are-parrot-rescues-so-overcrowded-thi… as Chet and Dave Womach report.